Erich Hartmann, Ace of Aces, Bf109G-14, Double Chevron

dodgem37

I finally found my Prismacolor color pencils and did some line drawing with white and silver to give a little more, tho still subtle, highlights and wear to the cockpit interior. I also decided to do a little detail work to try and finish up the canopy.

DSCN5423.jpg

I threaded the antenna wire and glued on the mast.

DSCN5420.jpg

I trimmed the antenna locating pin with a scalpel, punched a disc, and located it onto the locating hole to try to clean up that area a bit. I also made the turnbuckle. It's not 100% accurate but it somewhat represents an intent. I located a .010 rod pin into the existing hole that had been drilled into the handle, located the turnbuckle, and heated the end with a spent match head to flare the end. I still need to go back and add a drop of superglue to try and smooth out the condition. I threaded the antenna wire back into some cut red insulation to make a loop and connected it to the turnbuckle. Then I pulled the thread until everything was taught, taped it down, pushed the insulation forward until I made a tiny loop, glued it, then trimmed the excess thread.

DSCN5422.jpg

While researching the turnbuckle I noticed the emergency canopy release handle. So I added that to the windscreen opposite the flare port.

I think this about wraps up the canopy stuff, tho there still is the rear deck detail to do.

Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,

Mark

Lovely work as ever Mark!

Glad you are doing the rear deck detail next as that's one thing I have to do on mine. :clap2:

Don't think it will be quite as intricate as your work though!

Phil :frantic:

I've been filling, sanding and scribing this week.

DSCN5425.jpg

Reference courtesy of the 109Lair. I filled some of the existing gun trough panel lines and scribed new ones based upon the drawings found on the 109Lair for the G-14. I 'scale thicknessed' the top of the gun barrel opening.

DSCN5426.jpg

In addition, I scribed the forward line of the bonnet, for lack of a better term, to match up with the separation line between the gun trough part and the fuselage parts. I ran some liquid weld along the new scribing to smooth things out a bit, after I had cleaned them. I'm waiting for some of the areas to solidify before I very fine sand them. I filled in the handholds in front of the windscreen, which are yet to be finished.

DSCN5427.jpg

Correcting a boo-boo. Earlier on I had filled these two hatches. Although the 109Lair drawings for the G-14 show only the top hatch in existance, the Hasegawa painting and decal guide show both. Since this aircraft has the Methonal-Wasser (MW) boost, the lower one should also be shown. The top one I was able to clean out. The lower one I needed to fill and scribe. The fasteners for each were made with a beading tool.

DSCN5434.jpg

Courtesy of Thierry Laurent, Mike Maben & Charles Metz from their G-14 Tweaks List, I think. I thought I had read in their G-14 Tweaks List the gondolla, gondolla gun ammunition hatch, rocket launcher attachment location, and the oval hatch should be removed for aircraft without such items. So, I did. I usually fill with Tamiya putty then after sanding, fill in whatever pockets there may be with primer paint pigment. The reason for the two-tone grey. I've yet to follow-up fill the bonnet area.

DSCN5435.jpg

Other side. The little strip at the wheel well pinged off into the ozone to keep the emergency canopy release handle company.

DSCN5428.jpg

Since the fuselage is glued together I thought I'd take a couple of pictures of the cockpit. I contained myself to only one per side this time. The seat and it's accompanying parts are just taped on.

DSCN5429.jpg

Blurry, I know. My apologies. It's very colorful, which is just how I like it.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

It's very colorful, which is just how I like it.

I think it needs to be colourful Mark, Its a pretty deep dark place once closed up.

It needs colour to bring out the details especially in scale.

I know the problem you are having with various hatches.

On my Trumpy I have filled and re-opened one hatch at least twice.

Eventually I just got the plan and spent a good hour filling in the right ones.

But then another plan will show different!

Great work mate as always!

Phil

I think it needs to be colourful Mark, Its a pretty deep dark place once closed up.

It needs colour to bring out the details especially in scale.

I have been thinking about the color issue. What I had done was tint the 66 with white (80%RLM66 + 20% white) and not the detail colors. So the detail colors are 100% saturated colors, which makes them 20% brighter than they should be as they relate to ground. I should have tinted them 20% as well so the value relationship would have been constant throughout, but I wasn't thinking. I'll need to remember this for the K-4 build.

I know the problem you are having with various hatches.

On my Trumpy I have filled and re-opened one hatch at least twice.

Eventually I just got the plan and spent a good hour filling in the right ones.

But then another plan will show different!

I have found that it is not only the hatches. It's also panel lines and rivets. I used 3 or 4 references for panel lines. I'm sure, I suppose, each is correct in their own right, but whom does one follow? After I had finished panelling using, I think the 109Lair drawing, I noticed in my Shiffer book, when I was researching something else, a drawing of a K-4 wing. The body copy stated the G-14 and K-4 panelling is the same, which did not match the Lair drawing, but did match the Hasegawa Painting and Decal drawing. Go figure.

I don't recall offhand if the Trumpy kit indicates rivets, or not. But I had considered indicating rivets when I couldn't find 2 drawings that matched. It seemed to me that one drawing didn't make sense as it related to structure. I may not know what the underlying structural configuration of the wing is but I have designed enough structures and worked enough with Structural Engineers to have an understanding of layout. But this one I couldn't figure out. Maybe it was just the drawing. Anyway which way, it was confusing and time consuming, and leading to dropping the subject and moving on.

Great work mate as always!

Thank you. Your trifecta is most impressive.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark