Foiled Hasegawa P-51D

Out2gtcha

Next came Jerry's prop.....

1/32 PropMaster to the rescue again..........

WIP_DB_42.jpg

WIP_DB_41.jpg

I then turned my attentions to the replacement fuse/tail section.

VERY surprising the old elevators had a great fit to the new fuse with a few minor exceptions......... no sanding what so ever...........dry fit only no tape or anything. At this point I am glad I didn't have to re-paint the elevators and horizontal stabs

WIP_DB_53.jpg

WIP_DB_52.jpg

I'm gonna go ahead and paint the interior of the new tail, and prep the plastic tabs for grafting on the new tail.

Til next time gents!!

Cheers,

Brian

The work you're putting into this blows me away. This is turning into one great looking bird. I have to agree with you too, the parts on the tail, how they married up, turned out really well!

Following this one quietly, but very attentively.

Cheers!

Mark.

With Mark on this one.

Glad to see the fit of the new parts worked out so well.

Nice to see the MM clear coats turned out so well too.

Take your time with choppin' that new tail off, measure - mark, measure again, mark again.

Cut too long and sand to the line! Aaaah if only twas that simple!

Phil :thumbsup:

Take your time with choppin' that new tail off, measure - mark, measure again, mark again.

Cut too long and sand to the line! Aaaah if only twas that simple!

I am RIGHT there with you brother. The only reason Ive been on the paint is

A. I was already in the middle of it when the disaster hit, and

B. Ive just been putting the actual choppin/splicing part off til now as i REALLY want to get things right.........after I measure about 20 times im sure ill still cut way too much off with the tail.

I can always nip off a bit and level things again, but id rather not have to build it up again. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Brian

Wow nice progress

Your mustang looks AMAZING

You have to tell me your technique to make the nose cone stripe it looks perfect..

I had to redo mine about 3 times and it still looks like crap.....

post-11360-1279539331.jpg

Cheers

Neo

Thanks a million..........you guys know yourselves after this kind of a disaster, such encourouging words very much make you believe in what you are doing.

Thanks guys!

Wow nice progress

Your mustang looks AMAZING

You have to tell me your technique to make the nose cone stripe it looks perfect..

I had to redo mine about 3 times and it still looks like crap.....

post-11360-1279539331.jpg

Cheers

Neo

Not really so much a trick as just using what the spinner usually give you.........in this case Jerrys spinner comes it what is basically very accurate spinner lines which includes a natural line a bit up the base of the spinner.

Then you can take whichever masking tape you have that is close to or right on the distance up from the base which makes a nice level line for the yellow demark on Dixie Boy.

Then I took a series of rings of tape (in this case I believe I used 1/16th) in concentric circles up the spinner in levels till I reache the level where I wanted the second yellow demark.

Then I removed the middle rings of tape to expose the area needed to be sprayed black.

Next I basicaly sealed the whole thing in with clear lacquer before spraying the black.

Then polished and cleared the spinner along with pretty much every thing else :speak_cool:

Cheers,

Brian

Great recovery Brian! Headed towards the goal line with the fumble recovery. :speak_cool: The clear coat added a lot of depth to the silver. It looks great! But then again, we knew you could do it!

Ken

Brian,

Good recovery. Do we get to see the foil now? :P Seriously.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff......and yeah Im getting close.......I HOPE. Feels like forEVER to get to that point. Ive put the 2ndary fuse together and glued sanded some seams, so now its just down to measuring/measuring again/taping/cutting/splicing. Oh yeah, and also have to install and sand fill the wind screen soes I can foil........ *SIGH* :wub: :)

My next project is gonna be something that I can foil all of and will more readily "fall" together so to speak............. :lol: like my RAAF natural metal Has 1/32 P-40E......:wub:

Im getting there...........but she seems to fight me at every turn it......

Brian