Tamiya F-14B VF-103 Jolly Rogers 60th Anniversary

PhilB

Hi Phil,

nice work on the plumbing. Certainly enhances the kit parts.

The flexible hoses are often light to mid blue. I tried to link to PrimePortal/Airstrip to show you one or two larger pics but I think the site is down at the moment.

Bit blurred but it does show the hoses

A bit further away showing a darker blue

HTH

You're doing great work, keep it up. :post1:

:help:

Thanks very much for the photo's I think it confirms mid to light blue for the hoses.

Thanks also to the rest of you for your kind words and comments.

Phil

You're welcome Phil.

PrimePortal is up and running again now.

Look here for a full index of F-14 walkarounds.

This one shows one blue and one steel coloured hose :blink:

Both blue in this one

Looking forward to seeing them all painted and stencilled up. :speak_cool:

:piliot:

Thanks again, that's a really great site!

Phil

Thanks Matt.

I am not normally a fan of pre or post shading, in fact this is the first time I have done it "post". I am also very mindfull of avoiding the "patchwork quilt" effect which can look ok but I am trying for something a bit more subtle here.

Phil

I like your attitude regarding the striped **** ape syndrome we see all too many modelers use these days Phil. I myself have also fallen prey to the "monkey see, monkey do" manner of painting on a few occasions. I think I'm going to really like this when finished, as I do most everthing else I've seen you do. VF-84 rocks!

Thanks very much Oliver and Wrongway!

Kevin,

Couldn't agree more with your painting thoughts. Less is often more as they say!

Just starting an F-8C which will have Eli's "flame mouth" VF84 decals. After building an F4 and F14 both in the Jolly Rogers scheme I thought what the hell might as well make it a trio!

Phil

Think I've had enough with the gear legs. Gave them a dark wash followed by some detailing from the Tamiya weathering "palettes".

Nose Gear:

post-13803-1272534604.jpg

Main Gear, used a pale blue for the brake hoses following your help earlier in this thread:

post-13803-1272534626.jpg

Apologies for the rather dark photo's but our nice sunny spell here in the south of the UK appears to be ending!

Phil

Vinyl Tyres!!!! Aaaaagh I hear you scream!! Yes I know but you can work on them to give a better impression.

I read in a previous thread that vinyl tyres are nice and squishy and will compress to give a "weighted" look on the completed model.

Yeah if you want to put a housebrick on it but I don't want to do that!

These are still requiring a little more work.

I remove the seam line with sponge sanders and sand the tread which will eventually give a pretty realistic look. On these the deep treat pattern was very shiny so I dropped some matt black into the tread to dull 'em down a bit. Then taking my trusty razor saw and uttering a prayer to the man upstairs sliced off a small portion of the tread.

This will give a weighted look but not bulged. Need the housebrick for that!

post-13803-1272534951.jpg

Phil :party0023:

Vinyl Tyres!!!! Aaaaagh I hear you scream!! Yes I know but you can work on them to give a better impression.

I read in a previous thread that vinyl tyres are nice and squishy and will compress to give a "weighted" look on the completed model.

Yeah if you want to put a housebrick on it but I don't want to do that!

These are still requiring a little more work.

I remove the seam line with sponge sanders and sand the tread which will eventually give a pretty realistic look. On these the deep treat pattern was very shiny so I dropped some matt black into the tread to dull 'em down a bit. Then taking my trusty razor and uttering a prayer to the man upstairs sliced off a small portion of the tread.

This will give a weighted look but not bulged. Need the housebrick for that!

post-13803-1272534951.jpg

Phil :frantic:

That's a great set of techniques for working with vinyl tyres Phil. Thanks for posting them!

Kev