Tamiya F-14B VF-103 Jolly Rogers 60th Anniversary

PhilB

Now I've sealed everything in I could uncover the "pit". The Hud is very fragile using the Avionix set and very fiddly as it has 2 glass plates:

post-13803-1271482545.jpg

With the Avionix set the front and rear tubs are separate unlike the Aires set. Having got them in I'm still working on it to get the Rio's IP to sit flat which is a real pain!

post-13803-1271482559.jpg

Phil

Another picture of the pit. Used the eduard IP as I'm crap at painting dials on the resin ip!

post-13803-1271482860.jpg

Tried to be a bit subtle with the weathering underneath. Sorry about the quality but I'm limited to 100kb per post. How do some of you manage to upload 100kb plus photo's????

post-13803-1271482871.jpg

Phil

The tails came out really well, used red sprue for the lights:

post-13803-1271483075.jpg

The internal burner cans from the Aires set. Gave them a base coat of tan then used Tamiya soot from the set and dark Pro Moddeler wash. Seen various photo's where they are sometimes red/brown/ sooty etc etc. I think they are almost there, what do you guys think?

post-13803-1271483086.jpg

Phil

Finally, I am embarking on attaching all the "dangly bits" to complete the beast. Here's the Lantirn:

post-13803-1271483368.jpg

Got going on the gear. Added the springs using wire. Have done the Alclad chrome for the oleos, this will be toned down with a dark satin wash. Will not be using the eduard brake lines as IMHO they are too thin and two dimensional. Gotta work out where everything goes. Found the mainwheels difficult as the fore and aft fitting is ok but there is a lot of possibility for error in the "camber" fitting with the short piece that attaches to the intake trunk. Best to fit them and glue this piece on the leg whilst in situ.

post-13803-1271483381.jpg

That's all folks for now!

Phil

Geez Phil, what will you pull out of your hat next??? Those cans are awesome and the paint work is outstanding. Great job.

Do you have a photobucket account? That is how most of us get around the pic size limit. Free and easy to set up.

:rofl:

Your big Kitty is looking da beez neez Phil :unsure:

The cockpit came out really well as did the subtle weathering.

Can't wait to see this one all finished up.

:piliot:

Thanks very much!

Been watching your F14 build too, now that is awesome!

Phil

Geez Phil, what will you pull out of your hat next??? Those cans are awesome and the paint work is outstanding. Great job.

Do you have a photobucket account? That is how most of us get around the pic size limit. Free and easy to set up.

Well Matt, my daughter wanted me to pull the Easter Bunny out of the hat but it looks like he's gone on holiday!

Thanks for the kind comments, I've started "tinkering" with my F-8C Crusader, chopping up a perfectly good and expensive kit to get the Fisher conversion in and the Aires

zorst up its backside. Will post some pics when I can.

Mustn't let it stall this build though!

Thanks for the Photobucket idea, I'll have a look.

Phil

Thats a nice looking Cat Phill. There was and is always going to be something special about the F-14. Your work has brought out all of its nuances to a T .

Keep up the great work, cant wait to see it done.

All the best,

Paul

:rofl:

Paul, Marek and Barry,

Gentlemen, thank you for your kind words.

I spent this morning completing the exhausts which are the Aires "B" and "D" F-14 set.

I gave the "tunnels" a base coat of tan then used Tamiya soot on a cotton bud and a strange right angled mini toothbrush that my dental hygenist forced me to buy(3 in fact) to do the "rings" and streaks.

Apologies to any of you or your other halves who are dental hygenists but I think that part of their training is in "moaning" and getting you to buy weird products "you are not flossing correctly, look after your pockets, blah, blah, blah! Shame she is such a fox! - Rant over!

Anyway, I removed all the moulded in "pins" as I found that the internal and external cans didn't line up just right and it gives more freedom to construct the things in the order I want to.

I used the Wolfpack internal "ring" as its three dimensional as opposed to the Aires PE. Also I lost one of the pe rings anyway! When installed I will line up the small circular detail at 5 o'clock just in case some nosey parker shines a torch up her backside (the plane that is not my hygenist!)

post-13803-1271677198.jpg

post-13803-1271677207.jpg

Phil