1/35 Academy AH-1W and Panda UH-1N discrepencies

Dave Roof

Some of you don't care, some of you do. This is for those that do.

Both kits are good as is, but again, some like to go all out. Here you go.......

Gentlemen,

Back to the Academy 1/35 AH-1W profile.......and bring in the Panda 1/35 UH-1N.

Here is what transpired today. I spent a couple of hours with the Bell Tech Reps at New River and was able to borrow Basic Lines Data drawings for both the AH-1W and UH-1N.

These drawings have all measurements in inches for the Helos from specific points on the airframe. The drawings were taken to a blue print shop here in Jacksonville and using calculations based on known measurements of the aircraft that matched those in the drawings, we determined the scale of the drawings, then reduced/enlarged appropriately to 1/35 scale.

After measuring the finished drawings with a 1/35 ruler from 'The Scale Card', I now have drawings of both aircraft that are accurate within half (.5) a scale inch (+/- due to possible distortion during copying).

As it's been discussed before, the Academy AH-1W is FUBAR! To be quite honest, adding a plug (as some have done) and/or correcting the canopy profile (as planned by a third party) really will not fully fix the problems.

The aircraft is too tall, the boom is too short, the tail is too long and the nose is out of proportion. The "doghouse" up top is also out of proportion.

A new canopy and plug will get you just a little closer, but the aircraft will still be off.

The UH-1N........With the exception of the nose and vertical tail, it is much more accurate in outline/profile than the Whiskey.

On Saturday, I get to go back to HMLA-269 and get all new photos and more measurements of their aircraft. I'll take plenty of copies of the drawings with me to check and double check the measurements.

As time permits, I'll use this information and work on drawing new scale plans in Corel. I will also point out the various problems using photos of the real aircraft and kits, just as I did with the AV-8B.

For those interested in such things, hopefully they will be of use to you should you choose to go all out on your next build.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I am anxiously waiting. The UH-1N is on my short list. I was wondering if using two of the AH-1W kits, splicing them together, would get you to a good Whiskey. Just a thought. The kits are dirt cheap and easy enough to find.

Sincerely,

Crash

OK, here is where I am after a few hours at the work bench (last night from about 2300 to 0100 this morning). Using the Bell drawings, a 1/35 scale rule, technical pencil, french curves and drafting vellum, I've managed to draw the basic airframe profile.

I'll make multiple copies and take them with me when I re-measure the Cobra on Saturday. Once all of the panel line dimensions are confirmed, I'll scan the final drawing into Corel and then start adding all of the additional details (rivets, access doors, interior, rotors, stub wings, etc.)

Port and Starboard side profiles will be drawn with the correct details on both sides.

The nose and exhaust areas will be drawn as separate parts so I can do both non-NTS and NTS equipped birds, as well as standard and turned exhaust configured aircraft.

Top, bottom and front profiles will be drawn after the holidays. I'll also be doing the UH-1N in the same manner.

Anyway, here is part 1 of the drawing:

More to come later!

DSCF7002.jpg

:speak_cool:

I'm in awe of anyone who can draw to that level Dave , excellent work there , and while I don't have that much intrest in Helo's nevertheless I do have an academy AH-1W in the stash somewhere , and I would be delighted to have it as accurate as possible

Can I just say this , to me , is Rivet counting of best type, not comments of "it sort of looks wrong", "there's something sort of screwey with the nose" etc , vague meandering comments, here we have facts straight from the flightline , keep it up Dave!

Can I just say this , to me , is Rivet counting of best type, not comments of "it sort of looks wrong", "there's something sort of screwey with the nose" etc , vague meandering comments, here we have facts straight from the flightline , keep it up Dave!

I couldn't agree more. Well said!

:lol:

I'm in awe of anyone who can draw to that level Dave , excellent work there , and while I don't have that much intrest in Helo's nevertheless I do have an academy AH-1W in the stash somewhere , and I would be delighted to have it as accurate as possible

Thank you. I haven't been able to build anything for months, so at least I can do something positive and provide information to help those that have been building! :D

Nice work,Dave. Have you thought of doing this for the 1/32 Revell kit? (Actually there are 4: Huey,Cobra,loach, and Apache.)

The short answer is no. The primary reasons are a lack of adequate references on the aircraft you listed and to a certain degree, a lack of interest. Sorry, just being honest with that last point. If I had measurements of the real aircraft and similar type drawings for each to compare, I might consider it. However, as I simply do not have any interest in any of them other than the Cobra (The Marine Corps flew that model), I really won't go out of my way to find the needed references.

The secondary reason is what I'll be working on over the next several weeks. I received authorization today to receive Basic Data Line Drawings from Bell Textron for the AH-1Z, UH-1Y and MV-22. I'll be devoting all of my drawing time to those airframes, as well as the UH-1N and AH-1W.

Dave

Watching with interest Dave.

I've had my Panda UH-1N sitting on the bottom of my stash for so long..................I could just NEVER get past the Golf Ball sized rivits. For me the only option was sanding them off and resrcibing/riviting................ :rofl:

Will be interesting to see your measured drawing of the N........as that would be needed for any rescribing.........

I flew the N when it still had "new car smell". :)

Regards

Steve

Some progress on the AH-1W profile. I spent 7 hours at MCAS New River on Saturday measuring almost every panel and rivet line on the Whiskey. I'll go back over the New Years holiday break to get anything I might have missed, as well as to measure the UH-1N.

Hopefully I'll have the drawings done by the middle of January. Let me know what you think. Also, I have a 1/35 decal sheet in work covering a number of Whiskey's and Huey's (AH-1W / UH-1N) during their tours in both OIF and OEF from various squadrons. Hope to release it in the spring of 2010.

Dave

1-35AH-1WProfile.jpg

As it's been discussed before, the Academy AH-1W is FUBAR! To be quite honest, adding a plug (as some have done) and/or correcting the canopy profile (as planned by a third party) really will not fully fix the problems.

The aircraft is too tall, the boom is too short, the tail is too long and the nose is out of proportion. The "doghouse" up top is also out of proportion.

A new canopy and plug will get you just a little closer, but the aircraft will still be off.

The UH-1N........With the exception of the nose and vertical tail, it is much more accurate in outline/profile than the Whiskey.

Dave,

Great work - thank you for your efforts. A question if I may?

Discarding the premise "anything is possible"... how do you rate the possibility of grafting the Panda/Dragon UH-1N tail boom (complete) to fix the back end of the Academy AH-1W?

Thanks

Greg

Wow...awesome work Dave.

Gotta agree with Scotsman 100%.

:tumble:

is Rivet counting of best type, not comments of "it sort of looks wrong", "there's something sort of screwey with the nose" etc , vague meandering comments, here we have facts straight from the flightline , keep it up Dave!

Dave,

Great work - thank you for your efforts. A question if I may?

Discarding the premise "anything is possible"... how do you rate the possibility of grafting the Panda/Dragon UH-1N tail boom (complete) to fix the back end of the Academy AH-1W?

Thanks

Greg

Greg,

The tail booms of both helicopters are completely different on the real aircraft, so doing that surgery would only make things worse on the AH-1W kit. Once I'm done with the drawings and confirm that all of the dimensions are as close as they can possibly be, I'm going to chop up a kit to determine the best way to correct it. Of course at this point I think the best way is for a company to grace us with a new tool kit! :tumble:

Dave

The tail booms of both helicopters are completely different on the real aircraft, so doing that surgery would only make things worse on the AH-1W kit.

Dave,

Thanks - I think I may be on crack again, I'm getting the N/W confused with the Z/V in terms of commonality of airframes - I think?

Well, if a new tooling is ever contemplated, the manufacturers know who to talk to!

Greg