Academy or Trumpeter F-18

Barry

I know they are two different versions of the Hornet.

Is there enough information out there now on the Trumpeter to determine which is better quality and most accurate?

Does someone here have both?

Thinking about adding a F-18 to my stash.

Barry

I appericate you thoughts, it pretty much confirms what I had been thinking.

I guess the only realy advantage to the Trumpeter is it is the latest version of the Hornet.

Thanks, Barry

I'm confused , Academy do the F-18 C/D and its an excellent kit , no question, however Trumpter do the F-18E(/F/G eventually), different aircraft , much bigger that the C and since its only just creeping out onto the market , its a little soon to tearing it down , so to speak .

The instruction sheet for the 18E/f looks pretty decent , it seems to be inspired(?) by reference to the academy kit at least as far as the design of the kit ,

Lets see how it builds once its readily available

I'm confused , Academy do the F-18 C/D and its an excellent kit , no question, however Trumpter do the F-18E(/F/G eventually), different aircraft , much bigger that the C and since its only just creeping out onto the market , its a little soon to tearing it down , so to speak .

The instruction sheet for the 18E/f looks pretty decent , it seems to be inspired(?) by reference to the academy kit at least as far as the design of the kit ,

Lets see how it builds once its readily available

I got the Trumpy kit last Friday and had the time to make at least an initial assessment.

I cannot tell you how it build but when I compare the molding (compare the cockpits for instance), the accuracy (compare the weapons), the decals (last release of Academy kit has Cartograph decals) and the other contents, the Academy kit is globally better.

One aspect that may be better on the Trumpeter kit is the ease of assembly as some areas have far less parts than in the Academy kit (the main landing gear legs for instance).

Thierry

If you just want a Hornet and don't care about the model, get the Academy kit for sure. I've got the Academy C/D, and based on the photos at Cybermodeler and instruction sheets at Hobby Search of the Trumpeter kit, the Academy kit is more accurate, the gear is much more detailed and it has better weapons, all of which are actually usable on the Hornet.

Dave Roof.......have you got the Trumpy Bug yet?

No, I will not be getting the kit at all. I simply have no interest in the F/A-18E. I might get the F/A-18F when it is released though.........still undecided as I'm trying to stick to USMC subjects.

I have limited knowledge of the E/F, but will help as much as I can with a review as I have a few hundred photos of the aircraft to share.

Dave