P-51B Mustang

big matt

I wanted to build a Mustang.

mustang1010.jpg

It will certainly be a challenge for me. This is my first resin kit and I am really looking forward to it. I ordered the kit from Jerry a few weeks ago and have eagerly anticipated it's arrival. Wow, there are a lot of little parts in there. Now if I can just keep from losing, breaking or gluing them to my fingers I should be fine.

The first step was to get rid of all the resin that was not supposed to be there, and once the shop vac cleaned up the mess I was left with a bunch of nicely cast pieces that look like they belong on a P-51B.

mustang1013.jpg

mustang1012.jpg

I like the tires.

mustang1014.jpg

The gear legs are resin over brass. I think that will do nicely.

mustang1015.jpg

mustang1016.jpg

mustang1017.jpg

The panel lines and rivets are subtle and look nice.

mustang1019.jpg

The wheel wells should come out nicely as there are a lot of parts for this assembly.

mustang1020.jpg

I have not even decided on a paint job. I would like to go with OD and probably a full set of invasion stripes. The kit comes with a vac Malcolm hood and a normal canopy so I do have some choices.

Any help with this kit will be greatly appreciated as I want to do my best on this one.

Thanks for looking,

Matt

Matt,

I will be watching this build too--with great interest. If I may, can I ask you to post on the P-51 SIG? I am certain the guys there would love to see the build come together. Plus, they may be able to lend some info if you needed any--including paint scheme ideas. I am certain the kit will build up into a real gem as I have seen JR's research effort. Rest assured, he has definitely done his homework! Best wishes on your new build.

Jim

if anyone wants a P-51B/C at this stage, the Rutman course is the only way to go. Hopefully I will get mine underway before the Hasegawa ones come out (2011??). I dont think I will proceed with the Trumpeter one as there are no schemes I want to do little enough to bother.

Greg

Thanks for the kind words about this kit. I must remind everyone that this kit is now almost 10 years old. Some detail parts are brand new and the fuselage was upgraded a little while ago but I cringe when I compare this to my new stuff.You guys are very generous. The P-51D kit that I am working on now has the benifit of all of the cool research that was made available to me through the SIG. If you are into P-51s that is THE place and the guys there are the best. I am sure that Geoff would agree if he ever stops bending aluminum long enough.

I am intrigued by the comment about a Hasagawa P-51 though. Solid news or just wishful thinking?

JR

Alright Matt!!

So glad to see you start this build. Jerry makes a quality product and his research is beyond reproach. Please keep us posted frequently on your progress. If you have any questions about the B/C, visit the P51SIG and join in. They would love to watch this build over there and would be an invaluable source of information for you.

Good luck with this, Ill be sure to follow along.

Best,

Geoff

I am intrigued by the comment about a Hasagawa P-51 though. Solid news or just wishful thinking?

JR

Sadly, just wishful thinking. But if the World continues as we know it, it just has to be a 99 percent bet that Hasegawa will issue new P-51D and B versions. Crystal ball gazing also says Tamiya after a few Spitfires. I hope Hasegawa comes first as I cannot afford ten Tamiya kits.

I would also think that Eduard would be thinking seriously, after their 109s and Spitfires.

It does leave small businesses in a bad position, but I think if you get yours out first with a year before the competition you will do OK. Particularly with the current quality.

Greg

Thanks for all the encouragement guys, I think I will need it. I have managed to get some more sanding done and test fitting. Washing all that resin was a treat as well.

So far I have only managed to lose the fuselage tank gauge so I made one from plastic.

mustang2001.jpg

Working with all this resin is a bit daunting. It is a bit different than your typical limited run kit. I must be patient...

mustang2002.jpg

I plan on using the Mike Grant instrument decals. They arrived today. I also got the Eduard placard set.

mustang2004.jpg

I sanded quite a bit of material from the fuselage sides and the cockpit floor. I think I might put some alignment pegs in to help me set it straight. Otherwise the fit is fairly straight forward.

mustang2005.jpg

mustang2006.jpg

There is a lot of detail here and when I used my five hands to hold it all in place it looked pretty cool. I cannot wait to start painting!

Also, I am a bit confused. Did the B model typically have a pad on the seat pan and back???

Matt