P-51B Mustang

big matt

In answer to the seat pad query,I found out after I had made that wooden style seat that almost all,if not all P-51B and C models had metal seats. I am planning on re-doing the B/C kit from nose to tail AFTER I get this D mammer jammer done. I have a freakin' boatload of intel on the 51 series now. I have never before had the luxery of so much info when working on a project. I now don't know if it's a blessing or a curse!! Those guys on the SIG will set you straight on this a/c though,they are super guys.

JR

You got me pulling my Trump 51C out and fondeling the plastic and Jerry`s resin bits!!.................Harv :hmmm:

Hey Harv, I don't want to be the cause of you fondling anything!!! B)

Blackcollar, no worries about questions. I just don't have too many answers. I have been using a slow setting CA. I apply it with all manner of picks and probes. I also use an accelerator applied when I have a need to set the part instantly. It is critical to clean all the parts thoroughly or the glue will not hold. It can be frustrating when you are used to plastic but it is a different kind of modeling.

Jerry, I have posted this build on the sig. I was trying to figure out what seat that was. I read that some were made of plywood so that's what I figured you had done. I do think a pad was used but will wait a bit to see what I find out before I do the belts. I am a bit confused as to where the front firewall is to be mounted. Is it at an angle with the or vertical right behind the instrument panel???

Hakan, it will be my first time doing an i.p. with individual decals. I need some luck!

Russ, no more kits for you! We all need that SR built!!!

Matt

Hi Matt,

In response to your question:

"I am a bit confused as to where the front firewall is to be mounted. Is it at an angle with the or vertical right behind the instrument panel???

I hope JR doesnt mind my jumping in here. The firewall mounts at an angle. There is a rather lengthy discussion of this on the sig. It is also taller than the D firewall by nine inches. This has an impact on the cowling in that it creates a charateristic hump just in front of the windscreen. Check out the discussion on the SIG. You'll be glad you did. The discusion also includes comparative drawings needed to set thngs right.

Really glad your posting this and looking forward to much more.

Cheers,

Geoff

Hi Matt,

"I am a bit confused as to where the front firewall is to be mounted. Is it at an angle with the or vertical right behind the instrument panel???

I hope JR doesnt mind my jumping in here. The firewall mounts at an angle. There is a rather lengthy discussion of this on the sig. It is also taller than the D firewall by nine inches. This has an impact on the cowling in that it creates a charateristic hump just in front of the windscreen. Check out the discussion on the SIG. You'll be glad you did. The discusion also includes comparative drawings needed to set thngs right.

Cheers,

Geoff

Uh...What HE said!!

JR

Hi Matt,

Cheers,

Geoff

Hi Guys,

I need to fix something here. In the above quote I stated the firewall was nine inches higher in the B than it is in the D. I dont know what made me say that. I didnt mean that it sticks up higher by nine inches. Ive asked someone to check the true vertical dimension of the B firewall -vs -the D without factoring in the angle it sits at.

I can say with surety that whatever the vertical dimension is, the B firewall is 7/16" higher when it's in the fuselage at the required angle. This is what causes the slight hump in the upper cowling line. It isnt nine inches higher.

I apologize for the confusion and my dumbness :DodgeBall:

Geoff

Hi Guys,

I need to fix something here. In the above quote I stated the firewall was nine inches higher in the B than it is in the D. I dont know what made me say that. I didnt mean that it sticks up higher by nine inches. Ive asked someone to check the true vertical dimension of the B firewall -vs -the D without factoring in the angle it sits at.

I can say with surety that whatever the vertical dimension is, the B firewall is 7/16" higher when it's in the fuselage at the required angle. This is what causes the slight hump in the upper cowling line. It isnt nine inches higher.

I apologize for the confusion and my dumbness :DodgeBall:

Geoff

And don't let it happen again!!

JR

Geez Geoff! Now everything is a mess! :DodgeBall:

I tried to find that thread on the sig but no luck so I put the firewall in where I thought it should be, roughly.

mustang3002.jpg

It won't really show but that's ok. I also put in some alignment blocks to help with getting things together without needing more hands than I was born with.

mustang3004.jpg

mustang3003.jpg

The radiators are in and need just a bit of filling as I did not carve out a great mating surface. I also have to work on the tail wheel well.

mustang3005.jpg

Here are a few shot of the cockpit dry fitted into the fuselage. I am still fiddling with the fit and am trying to get the seat in the right position in relation to the canopy.

mustang3006.jpg

mustang3010.jpg

I also have to change the height of the rudder pedals as I have them too long.

mustang3012.jpg

The hood over the instrument panel gave me a bit of trouble and I had to adjust the notches on the sides of the i.p. to fit the sidewalls better.

mustang3013.jpg

I also figured it would be easier to install the fuselage rib at the rear of the cockpit as two pieces and fill it later.

That's it for now but it is starting to get moving in the right direction.

Matt

Matt,

I hope that I am not too late for this important point. Make sure before you glue the fuselage halves to gether that you have prepared the clear parts and then test fitted them to the fuselage.I would hate to see you do all the interior work and then run into that problem when it's too late. hth,

JR

Hi Jerry, no worries. The fuse is not together yet. I am leaning toward the Malcolm hood as well. It seems if I do that it will require some more framing and some work on the fuselage for the sliding track. It is my first vac canopy as well. Lots of firsts on this one.

Matt

Your build is looking, very nice. I did one of Jerry's B's several years ago and it looks like he has reworked several areas on the kit since then. If he is reworking the entire kit-whoa Nelly! Jerry was very nice with answering construction questions that I had. I am using his correction set for the Trump wheelwell and can say he has done his homework well. Enjoy your build. I will enjoy following your effort.