Bf 109E - Frog 1/32

Azgaron

Hasegawa all the way. All of the Frog 1/32 kits are reboxed Hasegawa moulds.

Patrick, can I 'borrow' your box image for the kit database?

Kev,

You're more than welcome (though it's a manky, ripped old box as even my photography shows.)

To flog a dead horse however (as I own the odd Frog model and grew up with the Novo re-issues) - when Frog were circling the pan, they bought in Hasegawa stuff? I'm intrigued, as was brought up on the idea that Hasegawa were later and picked up the jets and Luftwaffe subjects when Frog folded...

Patrick

PS I read your excellent and heroic build, and decided to hold back on this subject until after completing some of the Airfix and Matchbox alternates. Did you sort yourself out with a Matchbox Emil in the end, sir?

Kev,

You're more than welcome (though it's a manky, ripped old box as even my photography shows.)

No matter. This kit doesn't have any box art in the database yet, so it's a definite improvement! Besides, there's something about a tatty old box that really imbues the thing with a sense of history.

To flog a dead horse however (as I own the odd Frog model and grew up with the Novo re-issues) - when Frog were circling the pan, they bought in Hasegawa stuff? I'm intrigued, as was brought up on the idea that Hasegawa were later and picked up the jets and Luftwaffe subjects when Frog folded...

Hmm, that's the first time I've heard that theory. To the best of my knowledge, the Frog models are simple reboxings of the Hasegawa originals. FWIW, Hasegawa has been around since 1941, and began producing plastic models in 1961.

PS I read your excellent and heroic build, and decided to hold back on this subject until after completing some of the Airfix and Matchbox alternates. Did you sort yourself out with a Matchbox Emil in the end, sir?

Funny about that build, as it now lies in state in my cabinet, replete with irreparably broken landing gear and bits coming off everywhere. I still regard it as a failure, but I learned a great deal and had a lot of fun with it. In the end I did manage to source a couple of Matchbox kits, and will probably build one later this year to celebrate the BoB anniversary.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Karl, here's the paint scheme (taken from the box) that I intend to do!

bf_109e_paint_scheme_640x480.jpg

Hello HÃ¥kan.

Nice theme u chose there...109s are my favorite smile.gif

About paint scheme...
Joachim Muncheberg had flown in Sicily with two Bf109 E-7 and none was coded with white 2 + l .
Actaly the plane on kit box art should be white 12. The other is white 1 and i belive that was the plane he flew at the begining from the Sicily.
I can scan u some photos if You need them

Hope this helps smile.gif

Dejan

• 2 months later...

Hi Dejan,

and thanks for the info. I remember searching on the net for pics on this one and I think I found the one marked 12 but no one marked 2.
Not so strange then.

It's been a while since I worked on this one, but I hope I'll bring to life someday.

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Hi HÃ¥kan,

Glad to see you back on the forum.
Just bring it to life and and finish them.
Maybe it helps to move them over to the "Clear the bench! " group build. :evil_laugh:
Then, I'll see you there! :beer4:

Cheers,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

It's been a while since I was here, and even longer since I did anything to this build or the Hasegawa "twin", so here I go! :)

The wheel bays had no detail and was pretty shallow, so I decided to something about that.

I cut away the bottom of the wells, and used the cut out part as guide for the detailing.

bf109e_32nd_wheelbay_1.jpg

bf109e_32nd_wheelbay_2.jpg

I also added som plastic to the leg bay.

bf109e_32nd_wheelbay_3.jpg

To simplify things a bit I'm going for canvas covers.

bf109e_32nd_wheelbay_4.jpg

bf109e_32nd_wheelbay_5.jpg

I will fine adjust things when it's time to mount the wings, once the fuselage have come together.

In order to do that I had to finish the interior, which consists of engine, ammo boxes, guns, firewall and cockpit.

The instrument panel got some paint and I modified the existing Revi 12 sight some.

bf109e_32nd_ip_3.jpg

I got a package from a friend containing not only a much nicer sight, but also a complete engine, guns and some other stuff.

I will save them for the Hase twin and do this one as a practice build.

More to come soon. Just wetting you appetite! :)

Don't know if there's a fitting GB to move this build to, but otherwise, can any mod please move it to appropriate area! :)

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Tnx Sparz and Mark! :)

Some more progress would you like? :)

Considering the age of the kit, Hasegawa did a decent work on the engine.

I did some painting and stuff, and added firewall, guns and ammo boxes. 

I also did those gun through protection things, and ended up with this.

bf109e_32nd_engine_8.jpg

I added some cables to the rear of the ip.

bf109e_32nd_ip_4.jpg

and assembled the whole interior assembly.

bf109e_32nd_interior_assembly_2.jpg

The instructions seems to imply that the seat is all the way back.

bf109e_32nd_cockpit_alignment_1.jpg

but actually, I found out, that there's a step, which needs to be sorted with a piece of cut plastic.

Will do that once the fuselage is joined.

I also put rear ends to the wing radiators as it looked empty.

bf109e_32nd_radiators_1.jpg

That's about it for now. :)

Will start joining the fuselage soon.

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Edited by Azgaron

Last few updates before joining the fuselage.

Had to sort the control stick, and I've also painted kinda illusion strap on the things (whatever they'e called) on the barrels.

bf109e_32nd_interior_assembly_3.jpg

bf109e_32nd_interior_assembly_4.jpg

This is what I have to work with when I'm gonna join the fuselage.

bf109e_32nd_fuselage_assembly_1.jpg

I'll start from the rear and make sure the ip ends up right.

Then most of it will sort itself eventually. :)

HÃ¥kan