Bf 109G-14, 5a Squadriglia, 2° Gruppo Caccia

Mikester

I humbly present my one and only 1/32 build (not my last though!), a Bf 109G-14 flown by Maggiore Mario Bellagambi the commander of 5a Squadriglia, 2° Gruppo Caccia, "Diavoli Rossi", from Osoppo, Italy in March '45. Bellagambi claimed 10 kills during his career. He is generally acknowledged to be one of the most aggressive and dynamic Italian fighter pilots.

Overall impressions; fit was good, shape is pretty accurate, not too much to complain about but I will anyway. The wheels wells are devoid of any detail, I did some scratch building to address this issue. Second, no aileron mass balances, still working on that one, not so easy to scratch build. I dropped the landing and radiator flaps, scribed some missing detail and lots of little things that I'm not inclined to type all out at this point.

Finished in Aeromaster Acrylics and Sky Decals "Bf 109 in Italian Service".

I know these kits have caused some controversy in some circles, at times being considered more "toys" than "models". I think they can serve as good starting point for younger modelers looking to do something big at a reasonable cost as well as serving as a good starting point for more serious types who want to use it as a base for a more detailed build. I've picked up several Friedrichs for about $9 a pop and plan on building on some what I've done here for a more detailed build. Although it looks like 21st CT has closed up shop hopefully these will resurface at some point in the future.

Historical Note: (or what happens when you don't do your homework) I didn't have much in the way of reference on this one so I chose to use other people's incorrect builds of this plane as my reference, I may be wrong but at least I have some company! ;) This W.Nr. block was actually Bf 109G-14/AS production so a vanilla G-14 (although a vanilla G-14 doesn't really exist) wouldn't be correct, additionally since it was an AS the upper surface camo would have been in all likelihood 74/75 rather than the 81/83 I used.

That doesn't negate the fact that it was enjoyable build and good intro into a large scale plane modeling, next one will be accurate, I promise! :D

Thanks for looking!

Ciao und Auf Wiedersehen!

Mike

DSCN1898.jpg

DSCN1900.jpg

DSCN1901.jpg

DSCN1904.jpg

DSCN1906.jpg

DSCN1899.jpg