Working w/ photoetch

In my current project I'll be working with photoetch for the FIRST time and want/need a hold & fold tool. I'll be using it on all subsequent builds as well. I know there are many choices out there, so I'm asking for some assistance in deciding which one to get.

I've looked at the ones available from one of our sponsors, Cammett, and they appear to be of good quality, and I know our friend Radu makes one as well.

All my projects will be in 1/32 using Eduard and/or Verlinden parts.

Would those of you who have experiance working with photoetch, please give me your opinions as to which tool I will need and get best results from?

Thanks

Fred

Go to E-Bay and do a search on "etch-mate" to get an idea of what you are looking at. If you do not do cars, ships or armor, the cheaper one is more than sufficient. If you do a lot of ships and armor, it might be worth investing in one of the longer tools and maybe even the associated kits with all the shapes and accessories.

Fred what I use for cutting my photo etch are the rounded-off exacto blades on a small piece of plexi-glass.I have Radu's p/e bender and it's great to work with but what I've used for years and with great success are small pliers with a smooth face.NO TEETH ! I found these were so easy to work with and most good auto parts stores have them.If you have a Princess Auto near you go have a look.You'll be amazed what you can find in there for the hobby...cheers

Fred,

I have the Etch-mate from Mission Models and am quite happy with it. A bit pricey and maybe a bit overkill but a nice tool. I got it before I saw Radu's bender which seems completely satisfactory. I second Large Mike's opinion on the cutters, you won't use them all the time but they do come in handy. I cut with an exacto like Dave but on a piece of glass. Something hard to cut on is good to keep from bending what you don't want bent. My only real advice is to not drink coffee and get rid of any carpet near your work area.

Matt

Hey there - I have one of the smaller hold n folds and it works just fine. But I would also recommend one of these (which I picked up at Great Models, I think), as I use it far more often:

TAM74067.JPG

My thing with the hold n fold, etch mate, etc., is that it really takes much longer to get the PE part aligned in the hold n fold compared to any sort of hand-held tool (be it the above or some pliers, etc.). I just end up using the hand-held thing much more frequently, as it's faster and easier. But sometimes I'll still use the hold n fold.

Enjoy the PE! It's fun and pretty easy to use too, in my experience -

JON

P.S. I definitely use a couple of other things, too, including the clear plexiglass holder/handle thing that came with the hold n fold, and also the small sheets of acrylic plastic (although plexi or glass would also work) to cut the PE on. These are really valuable.

Ah! I have to agree with everyone here, I also use other tools frequently. I bought the etch-mate several years ago in a buying frenzy after I scored a bonus at work... I use a plain old pair of small scissors to cut most of my parts along with an xacto blade on glass.

My favorite all-time story with PE was, after cutting a bunch of parts required for an extensive cockpit build and laying them out carefully, I sneezed and blew them all away - most never to be found again. So cut only the parts you need!

I also second the comment about holding off on the coffee (all caffeine) when working with PE. I have done this and literally laughed at myself when my hands started shaking. (I have had this happen after a good work-out or after some really intense yard work. Don't ever try to handle PE after pushing a lawn mower around for an hour! :lol: I find a glass of wine helps - cut, sip, cut, sip, glue, sip, cut, sip, sip, sip, glue, sip, sip, sip, sip...)

I use a pair of pliers w/ 1/2" wide jaws, smooth, and checked that they close tightly together. This is simple, and fast, and covers many quick bends. I also have an etch-mate for larger bits. I use a 2" wide piece of spring steel(.010) for bending.

MY no# 1 requirement for tools is that I can use them easily.

jcfay is right in my humble opinion. I have the etch mate and a small hold and fold but 99% of the time I use the tamiya photo etch pliers.

Mind you photo etch tends to drive me nuts, my wife and daughter tend to go out if I'm planning on doing any :-)

The screams apparently upset them :-)

I've played with Radu's tool and it's top-notch.

Nudge nudge, wink wink.

;)

Kev

Er, in some Countries, you could get arrested for that Kev! :) ;)

Seriously though, Radu's tools are excellent value for money, and are very effective - especially his Rivet-R tools ;)

Derek

99% of the time I use The Bug, from Hold 'n Fold. It is really small, 2" square I think, and does all my work until I get a large piece. Since I do alot of AFV work also, can't exist without my Hold n' Fold.

It didn't hurt that the late Pete Forrest that invented the Hold 'n Fold lived just up the way outside Vancouver, WA; I saw him at all the local contests until his untimely death. I have nearly all his stuff.

Radu's tool looks simple and should do about 90% of the work, although I haven't tried it.