Trumpy P51 B

Pretty hard for me not to get excited about this release. The P-51B is one of my all time favorites. Keeping in mind the final "wait and see," it sure looks right to me. The wing looks like a B model wing. Though I can't tell absolutely for sure, it appears that Trumpy may have gotten the wheel wells right also. Seems like they included parts to represent the main wing spar that makes up the rear of the well. Original and Malcolm canopies too! Definitely something to work with here in my book...

I looked again and may need glasses as I can't see any rib and spar detail.

The fuselage looks OK, it seems they properly placed the exhaust pipes (as opposed to their 1/24 P-51D).

It's too early to tell about the engine but the oil tank has the same bad shape the D had.

The cockpit floor looks wrong as well, they put an Allison floor.

The P-51D parts:

Canopy looks suspicious and the seat looks too similar to the one on the 1/24 D for comfort.

This is a bit like torture, seeing the sprues like this and knowing we won't see them for a while yet! The Mustang is my favourite but I prefer the looks of the Mustang III (B/C), especially in RAF camouflage.

The sprues look good, one thing I noticed is that the Malcolm hood doesn't look "ballooned" enough, the sides look almost straight in the overhead shot. Should be easy to remedy, and there are replacements available from J. Rutman. The other thing to remember is that they are test shots, so some of these things may be corrected.

Regardless... a great big FINALLY!!!!

And if they do produce a D/K, hopefully they will have learned something from the 1/24 scale feedback.

Way too excited for an adult,

Richard

... and there're 6 guns....hmmm

Parts for six guns, perhaps, but I suspect that two of them are there for a forthcoming P-51D/K, as is obviously the case for the D/K canopy frame, etc. The wing moldings look right for a B/C and, in particular, don't include the six gun-aperture fairings on the leading edge that were present on P-51Ds and Ks.

Charles Metz