A slowbuild DR 1

Qvarre

Hi Folks

Have been reading on this forum for some time now, and It’s time to show what I’m doing. Still working on Rodens Dr1. yes I’m WW1 fan so if you like these kinds of aircraft you might like this. I have made a new seat from plasticard and aluminium from a sodacan. The upholstery is done with Milliput.

The engine is wired up and painted with Alclad and oilpaint. A new cowling is vacuumformed over the kit piece. The kit cowling didn’t allow the engine to fit inside, so new one is much thinner and make the engine to go clear.

JSEOGPEOHRMMM.jpg

Some extra details from Parts and Eduards etch was used enhance the level of interest in the office.

JMPRMPEQFONPI4.jpg

JSEOGQONCPLPM.jpg

JMQMPPFNPOCNF4.jpg

The plan is to get this one finished before the summer, so I can take up that Albatros DIII build; I´ve also started up, a mistake in my world to try several kits at the same time. Thats no good.

If you like this I will send in more of my work.

Cheers

Lars

That's really beautiful. There aren't enough WWI aircraft around here IMO and yours is a welcome addition, especially to such a high standard. My only suggestion would be to post larger pictures so that we can get a better look at your handiwork.

Thanks for the comments.

The finish on the engine is achieved with putting some thinned Prussian blue and burnt sienna oilcolour after the Alclad is completely dry.

JSEOGPMNRODPM.jpg

The woodeffect is done in oilcolour to. I used a semigloss Humbrol basecolour, any light brown will do mixed with some gloss clear varnish. I mix the flat humbrol brown with varnish because the oilpaint dose not grabs into semigloss that good. The oilpaint is thinned out with white spirits and brushed on. You have real good time to play around with the oil. So apply the oil and brush it out. The brush will give you the grain effect. Then it’s complete dry I just give it a light spray with a semigloss varnish. It’s quit simple when you got the hang of the technique.

JSEOGQKNFRHOO.jpg

More updates later

Cheers

Lars

Lars, you might want ot consider joiniing the "wwi" group, or at least sharing your wonderful efforts with them.

Here's the contact info:

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

http://www.wwi-models.org/mailman/listinfo/wwi

or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

wwi-request@wwi-models.org

You can reach the person managing the list at

wwi-owner@wwi-models.org

Enjoy :)

Thanks for the positive comments.

Since Roden started give us those lovely 32-scale birds we builders of the early birds are free to fly in to this forum. That’s nice. Normally I do my work in 48-scale, but in this bigger scale it’s easier to give the model some feature if you know what I mean. So on the net there is plenty of pics of my 48-builds. Sadly non on the ww1.org.Can´t say why. And yes I’m going to consider that.

JNGRNOKRNMQPO8.jpg

Yes Mike

I did fix the canvas behind the seat. Just drilled some holes and sewing with a stretched sprue.

Lars,

Great work and very inspirational!

Gearing up to my Roden Dr.1 and my first WW1 plane. Your pictures and how to would be a great help to me and others who are getting ready for their first time build for WW1 subjects.

More pictures please and keep up the great work.

Reuben