1/32 Redux P-47D

ChrisS

Thanks all, truly appreciated.

The plackards are good old Mike Grant: http://www.mikegrantdecals.com/Instruments.html

My next set of legs will be better, and those will get cast for sure. P-47 legs are slightly complex, and now that I've made a few sets I can see better how to solve and engineer some of the challenges. Alan?

:D

Next up will be fuselage details...I think. :lol:

Thanks again folks. I've never had this much attention paid to my legs...

:lol:

Here are the cheek waste gates made from brass sheet.

cheek1.jpg

Still have to fabricate the turbo doors and some belly vents. But prior to that I need to prep the surface and do some riveting! :D

First my legs...now you want my nuts too?

:)

Had too, sorry.

I got the nuts from Germany, Chris Kirtchoff helpped me out with them, but there is a web adderss where you can purchase them directly. Someone will post it I hope. I looked all over the states and could not find them that small.

The legs are brass tube, nothing special, one size fits into the other. Measuure them up, some superglue, and bam! You've got stems. The small item that made most of this easy to pull off was small styrene eyelets from a model railroad store. Drilling into the body of the leg allowed me to anchor these small eyelets directly onto the gear leg and then you can thread rod, wire, or whatever through them and they'll hold on. I'll dig up the brand and item number and post a picture. They come in a bunch of sizes, it would be nice to have them in brass or aluminum though.

The rest is brass rod, solder, wire, some foil, and beer for engineering purposes :P I just got a few good pictures of the legs and copied them with these materials. No special skill. However I've made 3 sets of P-47 gear, so I know the construction pretty well, and that always helps to know what your looking at.

Thanks again for the kudos guys.

What else is there to say Chris, too much has been said about your legs. That is a way out excellent job you did there. Fantastic. All that detail will make the undercarriage really stick out. Also love the work you did with the brass sheet. Keep this up man. I always love your builds. I loved the mustang but this is getting to be way better.

• 1 month later...

Enough about legs :blink: Here are two shots of the gunsight (Lonestar and scratch built).

gunsight1.JPG

gunsight2.jpg

The ring sight is a piece from Fotocut colored with a black sharpie pen. I should be back up to speed on this build by the coming weekend. The reflector lens is from MV (raildroad lenses).