1/32 Redux P-47D

ChrisS

Excuse me for butting in but if the man himself says it was red what better regference is there? You obviously go with red. Case closed in my book. That is why i like to build models after i contact the vets to get such information, but then once its there I don;t question that. THEY WERE THERE! And that's the best and most prestigious reference one can get.

Waldron instrument dials? With a bit of weathering that you've got in mind that instrument panel is pretty much perfect. Engine fantastico...looking good

I'm with the concencus..go with Red...I reckon old timers don't forget those details.

Cheers Matty

Some thoughts on aces & memory.

Some time ago I provided an artist with background data on the Johnsons P-47. The idea at the time was to have Bob sign the print. I spoke over the phone with Bob at great length about his P-47, HV-P and the markings it carried. We got into a real dilemma when Bob stated that the ID bands on the tail were red. He was adamant that those were the colors applied to his Jug. Unfortunately, this wasn't supported with documentation or photos. In fact, if the bands were red it would probably have been the only P-47 painted in that manner in the entire ETO! The painting ws finished with white ID bands.

Some time ago at an IPMS meeting a modeler asked me about the the colors applied to my company Dash 8. In particular, the colors outlining the emergency exit on the fuselage. To my amazment, though I had been flying the aircraft for about a dozen years at the time, I didn't remember! I had to go look for myself!

My point is this. I learned from both of these experiences that memories can't be trusted. I have reached this conclusion while talking to other historians as well. While memories of the past do help, they can't always be relied on to 100%. Photographic references, plus memories of the past are better evidence in my opinion. Better yet, ask the ground crew. They are very good sources. Also, don't forget that events happened over 50 years ago and much of the details we care about were not important at the time.

Also, I am sure that every knows about types of WW 2 film. On many occasions, yellow photographed as black, again a nightmare effect for researchers. Now, if the 62nd FS carried yellow rudders, then that is how I would finish Johnson's last P-47.

HTH

Mark Proulx

Thanks for the kudos and the rudder-talk. I'm leaning towards red simply because of the photographs I've seen so far. That coupled with the statement by Johnson seems to all point to red. But I do agree with Mark, and painting the rudder red makes me feel like the 62nd squadron CO is going to bust into my barracks at any minute and rip me a new one :blink:

Chris-

I know the feeling- makes one feel kinda "dirty"..... :blink: But I would say to hell with it- Like Nike, Just do it! I just recieved as a birthday gift the Lone Eagles boxing of the Revell Razorback P-47. I built this kit twice when I was a kid, and I loved it! I was reviewing the kit last night, and saw it not only through the eyes of a 12-year old, but through the eyes of a severly afflicted AMS modeler. So, you being the resident P-47 expert, I want your opinion on some things.......First, I noticed that many of the details are crap- I could scratchbuild it all, but I do not really have time for all of that. In your opinion, what would be the best detail sets to purchase to dress this puppy up in shorter order? Also- I would like to do a pacific Thunderbolt- (I wish I could do "Fiery Ginger"!) and was wondering if there are any decent decal sheets covering Pacific T-Bolts out there.....

Your assistance is appreciated.........

THOR B)

With my time around military aircraft, the colors/markings that were assigned to a specific squadron would have been enforced, especially with the Aircorp. Now with that being said, the rudder could very well have been red vice yellow, for a short period. The plane could have been transferred from one squadron to another with only enough time to replace the fuselage codes, or the rudder was a replacement borrowed from the other squadron. So really, red or yellow are acceptable with no guilt.

Chris-

I know the feeling- makes one feel kinda "dirty"..... :lol: But I would say to hell with it- Like Nike, Just do it! I just recieved as a birthday gift the Lone Eagles boxing of the Revell Razorback P-47. I built this kit twice when I was a kid, and I loved it! I was reviewing the kit last night, and saw it not only through the eyes of a 12-year old, but through the eyes of a severly afflicted AMS modeler. So, you being the resident P-47 expert, I want your opinion on some things.......First, I noticed that many of the details are crap- I could scratchbuild it all, but I do not really have time for all of that. In your opinion, what would be the best detail sets to purchase to dress this puppy up in shorter order? Also- I would like to do a pacific Thunderbolt- (I wish I could do "Fiery Ginger"!) and was wondering if there are any decent decal sheets covering Pacific T-Bolts out there.....

Your assistance is appreciated.........

THOR :unsure:

I would look here for your one stop Thunderbolt shopping.

www.jrutman.com

I would suggest the detail set, corrected cowling, and a propeller. Other than that you should be concerned with the exhaust flaps near the chin and turbo unit, and if you are really brave, you should fix the fin/rudder shape.

Take a gander at this "complete" listing of corrections for the Revell.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Marketplace/Tweaks/P-47.pdf

Hope that doesn't scare you away, the revell bolt builds up nicely, look at Jim Harr's recent tbolt:

01.jpg

HTH, email or PM me if you want more guidance, otherwise have a great build Thor!!

Oh here we go - another old fart joining in...

The apparent color of the rudder may depend on what type of B & W film was being used. After WWII, we had "Panchromatic fiilm" which was equally sensitive to all colors. Some time before that, it was "monochromatic," which was not red-sensitive and tended to make blue look paler and red look black.

Film for "real graphic arts" is still monochromatic except for some of that used in color separations(done the old way, which is still better albeit slower than scanning - just look closely at[for example] Fine Scale Modeler before and after they went digital-color, say 1988 :lol: and 1992 :o ). Off-topic but relevant in its own way and my $.02 worth.

Nothing like throwing in a monkey wrench, is there ? :blink:

Maybe I'll paint the left side blue, and the right side green :blink:

Here is the fuselage joined up. Elements of the Rutman, Revell, and Lone Star cockpit sets are in there, sealed away forever.

fuse_join.jpg

Next up is gearbays and wings!

Here is the propeller (Curtiss Symetrical). The blades from the Redux kit are very nice but I used the Rutman hub as it is much more accurate in shape and has some nice detail.

prop1.jpg

And here is a close up of the Hobbydecal dry transfer stencils on the prop blade. I just LOVE this product!

prop2.jpg

Wheel wells are just a touch of weathering away from being complete and I'll take a photo or two of them tomorrow.