Worst war movie with good airplane scenes?

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 9:01 PM, cbk57 said:

There are a lot of "Bad" movies on here that I have liked or loved.  Back in the 80s I loved Top Gun I was a teenager and really enjoyed it.  There are some I did not even think of I very much enjoyed Pearl Harbor.  I only admit to watching the first Iron Eagle movie but do not recall if I watched any of the sequels.  At the time I liked it a lot.  I recently rewatched The Final Countdown.  It has a lot of great Carrier stuff in it, I enjoyed watching it again.  It certainly is a bad movie but a fun watch.  I am very entertainment oriented when it comes to movies so will forgive a lot of problems.  

So far no one has mentioned the original Mid Way or Tora Tora Tora, back in the day I enjoyed those also.  However today they get a lot of criticism.  At lease Midway does.  I do not know if Tora Tora Tora is better thought of or not.  Also I believe there was a pilot/movie version of Black Sheep Squadron, again another guilty pleasure that I enjoyed very much. 

I know the series was not a movie but my Grandfather would record the episodes for me and we would watch them, one of my great child hood memories and I miss my grandfather.  He actually had learned to fly before WWII but he served as a technician mostly in rear areas.

Tora Tora Tora is a guilty pleasure I really enjoy it. It’s probably inaccurate here and there but never researched it. 

The Red Baron (2010) had some great action scenes. Once again have to not drill down on it. I did notice they showed Lanoe Hawker shot down in an Se5a. He flew DH2’s (basically a pusher type) possibly they didn’t have one or the CG was too difficult then. 
Blue Max is actually a good film but the aircraft and camouflage are all iffy. Research, 1:1 Replicas and CG should be able to overcome these problems today. Also Red Baron Movie didn’t show his last flight, just as well as they implied Roy Brown ( who the film has him meeting- total bullshit) got him ( also total BS) but anyway the fight scenes with heavy metal soundtracks can be found on YouTube. 

pS actually enjoyed Top Gun 2 - liked the real action not CGI twists and turns- actors blacking out! Can’t CGI that!

Edited by Pup7309

Slipstream. Awful, but the Edgley Optica is neat! 

There are some good films with weird flying in too, but usually because they had to fly what was available. Turkish Tiger Moth in Lawrence of Arabia, for example. The Bristol Monoplane in the 39 Steps is neat! And of course, Cary Grant getting beaten up by a cropspraying Stearman!

The worst war movie was the one made in Germany earlier this century called The RED BARON, or something like that. They tried to make him over to be a sensitive youth.  Somewhat disturbed by all the lives he had taken. He was really more of a stone cold killer in reality. The female lead kept me wondering when she would forget her role in a movie and start yawning. The action scenes were interesting, however.

Lets face it guys, no producer is going to spend good money on having accurate replicas of WW1 aeroplanes produced for a movie just for the sake of historical accuracy. Forget about accurate paint jobs. I won't even mention the sappy story lines they use. We are lucky if they give us good flying scenes. 

Movies made during a war are excusable because their purpose is partially to get young people to run down to the local recruitment office and join up. Also to get the folks who stay home to accept the necessity of sending their children off to war. In any case the movie people are under constant pressure to make a profit. I am a pre-WW2 baby and by the time we reached puberty I and my friends knew it was all hokum. But I enjoyed the war movies made during WW2. 

By the way my favorite Korean War movie was The Steel Helmet (I think that was the correct name of the film). Also I saw Gung Ho, starring Randolph Scott, nine times until I reached 20 years of age.  Over the years I have seen many war movies and I almost always found merit in at least parts of them.  OK, so some movies are real stinkers;, especially when they rewrite history to include love interests.  But what are you gonna do, they have to make money. 

On 5/9/2024 at 10:55 PM, ssculptor said:

The worst war movie was the one made in Germany earlier this century called The RED BARON, or something like that. They tried to make him over to be a sensitive youth.  Somewhat disturbed by all the lives he had taken. He was really more of a stone cold killer in reality. The female lead kept me wondering when she would forget her role in a movie and start yawning. The action scenes were interesting, however.

It was a hot mess as they say. It’s hard to say what he was like but a high scoring ace would err on the side of stone cold killer than sensitive youth. Though he would probably have PSDT to some extent like most pilots who’d survived many hrs of ww1 air combat.

he probably didn’t have time for or interest in romances but who knows. 

On 5/11/2024 at 10:28 AM, ssculptor said:

Lets face it guys, no producer is going to spend good money on having accurate replicas of WW1 aeroplanes produced for a movie just for the sake of historical accuracy. Forget about accurate paint jobs. I won't even mention the sappy story lines they use. We are lucky if they give us good flying scenes. 

Movies made during a war are excusable because their purpose is partially to get young people to run down to the local recruitment office and join up. Also to get the folks who stay home to accept the necessity of sending their children off to war. In any case the movie people are under constant pressure to make a profit. I am a pre-WW2 baby and by the time we reached puberty I and my friends knew it was all hokum. But I enjoyed the war movies made during WW2. 

By the way my favorite Korean War movie was The Steel Helmet (I think that was the correct name of the film). Also I saw Gung Ho, starring Randolph Scott, nine times until I reached 20 years of age.  Over the years I have seen many war movies and I almost always found merit in at least parts of them.  OK, so some movies are real stinkers;, especially when they rewrite history to include love interests.  But what are you gonna do, they have to make money. 

Well if Peter Jackson made the film he’d have plenty of 1:1 replicas and cgi movie magic, and some eye for accuracy. Maybe even a few 1:32 kits he could set on fire and film hurtling to earth

Edited by Pup7309