F-4 Phantom Kit(s) Question

Hello, I’ve been busy with so much other stuff that I am a little out of the loop on what is available for 1/32 scale F-4 Phantom kits… last I remember is that the Japanese firm (ZM) has created 1/48 scale F-4’s and that it was rumorred we would see them scaled up to 32nd scale. Will this ever happen? 

I am very interested in building a Vietnam era F-4 Phantom in 1/32. 

What options do I have? 

Thanks for the help and insights!

Cheers

Alan

Options are limited.   I went with the Tamiya F-4C/D kit for my recent build.   It’s an older kit and has a few quirks but they are easily addressed and dimensionally, it’s pretty accurate.   My build is over on the WIP page if you are interested.   I tackled most of the kits’ issues during the 6 months it took me to compete it.  

Your options are Tamiya (F-4E), Tamiya (F-4C/D) or Tamiya (F-4J)!

The OOP Revell F-4E may depict one of the rare slat wings planes used very late in the war and the RF-4C one Recce bird. However you will have to find AM decals and both kits ask for far more work than the Japanese options. The Academy re-release of the Revell F-4E has SEA schemes AND the hard wings with TISEO. However, it has the same issues than the original kit.

Tam's kits are maybe not perfect, but are the best options, with the help of some AF sets, namely: exhaust nozzles, the "Red fox 's" cockpit (or Quinta studio) a pair of bang seats ("sparkit's" ones  are gorgeous),  " Aerocraft models" clear parts, ...and  a wide choose  of decal options, you can get a very nice rendition .........go ...........

Alain

Just an FYI, BiggTim of B&B resin (the former AMS line) has hard wing tip conversions for the Revell kits so you can back date them. Thierry, didn’t you have something to do with the design of them when Harold brought them out?  Also a corrected nose as well. 

9 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Just an FYI, BiggTim of B&B resin (the former AMS line) has hard wing tip conversions for the Revell kits so you can back date them. Thierry, didn’t you have something to do with the design of them when Harold brought them out?  Also a corrected nose as well. 

Indeed. I made the masters of close to all the AMS Phantom sets as well as the CBU bombs and A-4C wiper and wheels.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the feedback - I wanted to confirm, is the Academy 1/32 F-4E kit the original Revell kit with new decals? 

Does any resin come with the kit? A few questions: 

are there any available after market cockpit sets for this kit? How about 3-D printed cockpit decals? 

I really like the late Vietnam War Phantoms. 

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

7 minutes ago, alaninaustria said:

Thanks for the feedback - I wanted to confirm, is the Academy 1/32 F-4E kit the original Revell kit with new decals? 

Does any resin come with the kit? A few questions: 

are there any available after market cockpit sets for this kit? How about 3-D printed cockpit decals? 

I really like the late Vietnam War Phantoms. 

Cheers

Alan

It is the original Revell F-4E / G kit, no resin, but with a new small extra sprue with amoung other things a Tiseo and two gun cameras, and a very large decals sheet with loads of stencilling.