AMS Resin A-6 antennas in progress.

Harold

I have a lot of respect for you who use antennae that are made of polystyrene or resin plastic. These things are so fragile that one has to keep them in a case or run the risk of someone touching them and breaking the silly things off.

I prefer to use wire that is brazed, soldered or silver soldered together. Then I can relax when transporting them and showing them anywhere.

I am of the ham fisted persuasion and I like to touch, handle, lift up and view from many angles the models I make.

Thus I take my hat off to you guys who tolerate such fragile plastic things on your models.

Of course now they have carbon fiber small diameter rods and I will look into using those.

As to the antenna shown above, I would cut off the long small diameter rod, drill out the nice thick base part and insert a metal wire into it.

But that is just how I would do things. You guys do whatever you want. 

Stephen

I have a lot of respect for you who use antennae that are made of polystyrene or resin plastic. These things are so fragile that one has to keep them in a case or run the risk of someone touching them and breaking the silly things off.

I prefer to use wire that is brazed, soldered or silver soldered together. Then I can relax when transporting them and showing them anywhere.

I am of the ham fisted persuasion and I like to touch, handle, lift up and view from many angles the models I make.

Thus I take my hat off to you guys who tolerate such fragile plastic things on your models.

Of course now they have carbon fiber small diameter rods and I will look into using those.

As to the antenna shown above, I would cut off the long small diameter rod, drill out the nice thick base part and insert a metal wire into it.

Stephen

Could it be possible for them to be inserted into the pylon? There has to be a hole drilled into the pylons anyway, maybe not glue them in, just push them into the holes. (if the holes are very well drilled)

Could it be possible for them to be inserted into the pylon? There has to be a hole drilled into the pylons anyway, maybe not glue them in, just push them into the holes. (if the holes are very well drilled)

It would help if one has a micrometer handy and knows how to read it.

You can always buy "drill rod" of various diameters and drill bits down to #60 are readily available.

Thus you might be able to select a drill size and drill rod to be able to insert the wire into the hoed without glue. Then you can remove it for travel and transportation.

There are many possibilities.

I need things like this since I am the proverbial bull in a china shop.

Stephen

I think that would probably work but I do not think these should be that fragile even in resin? My pylon leading edges are all ready drilled to accept them - let me know if you want someone to test a set for fit! :)

012_zpsnwdndseu.jpg

Edited by petrov27

I think that would probably work but I do not think these should be that fragile even in resin? My pylon leading edges are all ready drilled to accept them - let me know if you want someone to test a set for fit! :)

012_zpsnwdndseu.jpg

There ya go...Looks like tomorrow I will have them in rubber. SOON.

Stephen

IM plastic might be, but Resin is not that fragile. Ive been building with, and using it my whole modeling career, an although all resin composition differs from one manu to the next, and sometimes even from one pour to the next, after using Harold's resin and looking at this antenna, I can say with a fair bit of confidence you are NOT going to just snap these off at the drop of a hat.

From my experience, Harold's resin is no where near that brittle.      Dont get me wrong, this will be delicate and should be handled with care, but there is no need to go to the trouble of inserting metal into the antenna....................

Actually also from my experience, with stuff that sticks out this far occasionally its even better to have something like resin that is a tad flexible VS something like white or yellow brass that is VERY rigid, as if you bumped it really hard, instead of just breaking or bending the antenna, I have found (depending on how/how well its secured) that sometimes if things like this are made with rigid brass, they dont give at ALL and they actually break the wing or pylon its attached to instead.

So instead of fixing or making a new pitot tube or antenna, you end up having to patch/fix your wing or fuselage or pylon instead, which most of the time is a LOT more work.   ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS.

Edited by Out2gtcha

IM plastic might be, but Resin is not that fragile. Ive been building with, and using it my whole modeling career, an although all resin composition differs from one manu to the next, and sometimes even from one pour to the next, after using Harold's resin and looking at this antenna, I can say with a fair bit of confidence you are NOT going to just snap these off at the drop of a hat.

From my experience, Harold's resin is no where near that brittle.      Dont get me wrong, this will be delicate and should be handled with care, but there is no need to go to the trouble of inserting metal into the antenna....................

Actually also from my experience, with stuff that sticks out this far occasionally its even better to have something like resin that is a tad flexible VS something like white or yellow brass that is VERY rigid, as if you bumped it really hard, instead of just breaking or bending the antenna, I have found (depending on how/how well its secured) that sometimes if things like this are made with rigid brass, they dont give at ALL and they actually break the wing or pylon its attached to instead.

So instead of fixing or making a new pitot tube or antenna, you end up having to patch/fix your wing or fuselage or pylon instead, which most of the time is a LOT more work.   ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS.

Just for the heck of it, I tried to break one I have cast. NOPE, it will bend a bit, but it would take several tries by bending back and forth before it gives up.