Mengs 1/32 Me 163 Komet

Hagar

Started this this past weekend.

DSC03806.JPG

DSC03831.JPG

DSC03830.JPG

And Fine Molds seat belts.

DSC03829.JPG

I have also ordered Barracudacals Bf 109 K wheels as they look better than the rubber ones. I will also use the Master Details Pitot tube I got for the Hasegawa kit. Finally I have added a wire bundle to the right console and tape belts on the pedals.

James

So far this isnt bad. Bit more done.

DSC03834.JPG

DSC03833.JPG

DSC03832.JPG

Wires painted with German Yellow from AK's modulation set.

Make sure you wash the plastic. I'm finding some parts a bit oily and not holding the paint well. It flows away.
Some flash present on tiny parts which makes for an interesting clean up.
Decals look good, but tricky knowing where to place. If you put the PE down the decals will fit the rims of the instrument. I am using it as a guide. Used Future as glass and it is also the glue. Hope to get the IP done today so I can start weathering and adding any details that might be missing. Using the Aerographix book and the Mushroom Publications Yellow book for this.

James

Where I am now.

I think this will be done pretty quick. Dependent on some stuff I have ordered. Now if I was smarter I would have taken pics before buttoning this up. But dry brushed with a lighter shade of RLM 66 , rubber hose, wood trim wheel etc etc. Also a wash with burnt Sienna .oil paint.

DSC03847.JPG

DSC03846.JPG

DSC03845.JPG

DSC03841.JPG

DSC03836.JPG

So small in there and hard to see now.
James

Very nice work so far!  I like it. Im expecting my 163 any day now from Lucky as well.

Im not sure if Ill start mine ASAP, but when I do it will be in a dio I have planned.

Looking good so far, and looking forward to more!

Thanks guys. Fixed the column thats leaning against the seat but did not notice the paint splashes on the aft bulkhead. Will have to touch that up and fix the cushion. Also just noticed the control column isnt all the way seated for some reason. Will have to fix that also. Next up is the engine. I will build it, but probably wont pay a lot of detail to it as this will be buttoned up. You probably noticed the instruments look off. They should be black, but they are a greyish and all the lines are dots. Next one will have Airscale decals. Hope I can get some more done this week, but shift is kind of screwy so not sure if I'll have time.

James

Great ! This new Me163 seems to be damn good, the cockpit is almost as detailed as can be a resin set. Looks like a kind of Zoukei Mura stuff.

A question : in which material are made your finemolds belts? In a pictures they are on a sprue that looks like injected platic, and then they are set on the seat but nevertheless looks very flexible?

That's a nice start of this kit. I went to the LHS and got one too! I'll be following your work and start myself soon as well. This is one of those kits that I could build more than once; looking at the box, I have to say that the British markings for the Komet flown by Eric Brown is fantastic, but I also have a few dioramas in mind.

I like the extra details you added in the cockpit, like the yellow wires on the right side fuel tank. Looking forward to more!

Nic 

Thanks guys. I think I finally found a great yellow for the German wires. Ak Interactive put out a colour modulation set for German Yellow. I used one of the modulations and like it. The seat belts are a soft plastic. They bend well to a point. I like the detail on them and they take paint well. At first I thought them a bit expensive, but they are cheaper than a comparable number of Radus belts (my personal favorite). This is the second one I have used.

Engine up next.

Oh and after lots of thought I will do the captured a/c. I have been a fan of Brown since reading about him as a kid. The Peddinhaus decals will go to the second Komet and any subsequent ones.

James

Up at 0 Dark 30 this morning and figured I should do some more while I had the chance. Got tail almost all together. Some external panels and fillets. It is possible to attach the retracted uncovered tail wheel on after assembly so I left it off for ease of painting. Started the engine. Man oh man it is full of tiny parts and small joins. Very trying for me personally. I stopped when my hand was too numb to hold anything any more. I'll bet it would look awesome in the hands of a talented modeler.

DSC03852.JPG

DSC03853.JPG

DSC03854.JPG

DSC03855.JPG

DSC03856.JPG

So thats were I am so far.

James