New Model Manufacturer

Harrison90

Hello my fellow modellers.

My name is Harrison and my father is Chris. We have both been heavily involved in modelling for many years now, even going back to my grandfather who built scale model, working steam trains and even a real Pitts Special in his house.

My father and I have recently been thinking of getting into our own business and have thought why not get into the model making business? We plan to utilise 3D printing and scan the real, full scale aircraft and break it down into its individual pieces on the computer and print the sprus for all of you to enjoy.

This is as of right now, in the very, very early stages and we have yet to even have any of the equipment or even a name and are just looking into the logistics, and the interest we could generate.

We are hoping to be more in-depth with the modelling community by filling the needs of the many and the few. The plan is to be able to take suggestions from the modelling community and create. As fellow modellers, my father and I have found it difficult at times to find any kits of certain aircraft in certain scales. I hope to make LSP and its forums a place of research and influence to receive your suggestions and create some really great models.....

...if we could generate enough interest . I pose the question to all of you - what would you like to build? A 1/32 Do 335, an XP-55, a Westland Whirlwind? You name it and if enough people show interest your wish could be our command.

I hope to have this become a reality and am looking forward to working with all of you!

Cheers and best regards.

Welcome aboard Chris!

:party0023:

Your plans sound most ambitious, and I applaud you for them. As for your question, a Do 335 or a Whirlwind would be killer subjects. Dragon announced a 1/32 Do 335 some years back, but there's only been silence since.

Kev

Since you plan to scan the real aircraft, that rules out a Whirlwind. Starting from the ground up, I'd pick a popular subject for your first few kits, that way (hopefully) you generate cashola for future projects that may not be as popular. No one ever went broke selling a Messerschmitt 109 or Focke Wulf 190.

A better MIG 17 in 1/32 (or 1/48) would be good, along with MIG 19. A 1/32 Yokosuka D4Y Judy would be a good addition to the market.

Welcome aboard to the both of you. If I were you, I'd hang on for your dear life, because the avalanche of suggestions is going to be on a biblical scale. Don't say you weren't warned. Good luck to you both !..............Harv :post1:

Thanks for your interest and support already!

Ambitious are plans may be but we not only wish to fulfill our dreams of owning our own business but of fulfilling the dreams of all the modellers out there that never got the aircraft they wanted to build in the scale they love. I really want to get this modelling community more involved in the development and decisions making process of the kits they enjoy pouring hours on end into crafting.

I have heard of the 1/32 scale Do335 rumor but unlike Dragons silence on the matter, if we ever decide to discard an idea we would notify the community of our decision and why we made that decision. Also if a kit means enough to anybody, and is willierng to pay the price for a one off and rare kit, we would gladly create one.

Haha! I do realise not all aircraft would be possible to scan but we would then use all the resources possible to make the most accurate model possible.

I am not afraid of any amount of suggestions, I welcome them! Without your support and interest this project may never get off the ground.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions and comments coming!

Cheers

Welcome to the site and community Harrison and Chris, you've got a very ambitious project going on here, and i wish you all the luck and FUN.

cheers,

Jack.

oh,ps......how would a Cessna 337 push-and-pull sound?

I take it these would be resin kits?

Perhaps some idea of size limitations would help as there's some very ambitious ideas on potential models on here.

Why don't you 'print' one at a later date to give people some idea of what you can achieve, together with an estimated cost for the project?

How many kits are you looking to produce, or will it be wholly on demand from the customer?

Costs are everything these days and I hope that this will work out for you on a limited demand basis.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck to you both if you go ahead with this.

Edited by Royboy

Bf109s and FW190s are 'over modelled' and though popular there is a lot of competition and excellent kits out there so I am not sure they would be a good option. There is a middle way to get off the ground - what about a Hawker Hurricane? That must be the most important, popular yet undermodelled in 32 scale, of all. Then, of course there are other members of the 'Hawker' family, a Sea Fury or Typhoon perhaps. I suspect these will help you get off the ground better than a 109....

As for others, the Whirlwind would be a winner with me and, I suspect a lot of people, then there is the Boulton Paul Defiant....

Bf109s and FW190s are 'over modelled' and though popular there is a lot of competition and excellent kits out there so I am not sure they would be a good option. There is a middle way to get off the ground - what about a Hawker Hurricane? That must be the most important, popular yet undermodelled in 32 scale, of all. Then, of course there are other members of the 'Hawker' family, a Sea Fury or Typhoon perhaps. I suspect these will help you get off the ground better than a 109....

As for others, the Whirlwind would be a winner with me and, I suspect a lot of people, then there is the Boulton Paul Defiant....

It's not over modeled if it sells well and as there are a lot of books and kits of those aircraft, well they must sell. No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the public, or in this case the consumer. Case in point;

http://now.msn.com/kanye-west-t-shirt-sells-out-despite-costing-120-dollars

You know it never occurred to me to do any Cessna aircraft but I completely agree! A push pull would be awesome! If this gets off the ground that one is going to be made for sure!

cool... :piliot:

Welcome aboard!

I'll toot my own longstanding call for a 1/32 OS2U Kingfisher...

Me too, but I beileve either SWs or KittyHawk will be coming out with one (I DESPERATELY HOPE anyway), but cant remember which.

I DEFINITELY agree with a Cessna 337! I would LOVE to see a NAM era bird -

o2b.jpg

... I do realise not all aircraft would be possible to scan but we would then use all the resources possible to make the most accurate model possible. I am not afraid of any amount of suggestions, I welcome them! Without your support and interest this project may never get off the ground. Thanks again and keep the suggestions and comments coming! Cheers ...

... Injection moulded or resin ... I have no preference!!!

But please, please, PLEASE??? (I'm begging you!!) :please: ... cap off what Revell started with their Battle of Britain series and do us a 1/32 Do17z ... and a 1/32 Ju.52 transport while you're at it :D

... anything else is gravy :) ... but of course

... then there is the Boulton Paul Defiant....

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

Hello my fellow modellers.

My name is Harrison and my father is Chris. We have both been heavily involved in modelling for many years now, even going back to my grandfather who built scale model, working steam trains and even a real Pitts Special in his house.

My father and I have recently been thinking of getting into our own business and have thought why not get into the model making business? We plan to utilise 3D printing and scan the real, full scale aircraft and break it down into its individual pieces on the computer and print the sprus for all of you to enjoy.

This is as of right now, in the very, very early stages and we have yet to even have any of the equipment or even a name and are just looking into the logistics, and the interest we could generate.

We are hoping to be more in-depth with the modelling community by filling the needs of the many and the few. The plan is to be able to take suggestions from the modelling community and create. As fellow modellers, my father and I have found it difficult at times to find any kits of certain aircraft in certain scales. I hope to make LSP and its forums a place of research and influence to receive your suggestions and create some really great models.....

...if we could generate enough interest . I pose the question to all of you - what would you like to build? A 1/32 Do 335, an XP-55, a Westland Whirlwind? You name it and if enough people show interest your wish could be our command.

I hope to have this become a reality and am looking forward to working with all of you!

Cheers and best regards.

... and you might want to post to this forum as well -> http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/