Mustang...1/18nth Scale

Ironwing

As a humble observer from the sidelines, I have to say WOW! You Sir are a truely gifted modeller,

...Guy

Guy,

It was a surprise to find your comment for which I am grateful. Many thanks. Haven't worked on it much of late. Been off in the weeds doing other things. Hope to return soon.

Thanks again....

Geoff

Hi Tony.

Thanks for jumping in. Feel free to comment any time. I'm aware the head slots should align. I just wanted to demonstrate something I stumbled upon based on something Peter (Airscale) said in his T Cat thread. This said, comments/ corrections are always welcome.

Best

Geoff

• 2 months later...

Greetings All

Long time no see. Long time no work on Mustang. I was driven into an absolute state of inability regarding the rivet pattern on the H Stab. The pattern itself wasnt the issue, making it happen was the problem. Its deceptively simple..or maybe Im just a bit dull in the head. Whatever the case, I had to just leave it...for quite a while.

Having recently restarted, the same issues resurfaced. I just couldnt get things to line up. Peter jumped in and sent over some templates (thank you Peter), but even these didnt help. Getting straight lines of rivets wasnt the problem...getting the intersections to align was. 

There are thirty-nine intersections per surface; some go through, some dead end. Along with the intersections, there are four rows of double offset rivet lines and one row of double aligned rivets at the TE.

NAA DWG 117-21002, General Arrangement, Horizontal Stabilizer, Early Aircraft; was used as the  reference. This drawing shows the structural details of the H Stab. It became obvious that what kit manufacturers give us for the Mustang H Stab, has no basis in reality. This isnt a dig, its just a fact.

Eventually, a methodology was developed that was executed using line sections rather than full lines and applied using a layering approach. The bottom line ended up, even with a segmented/layering approach, extreme accuracy.

Process:

X and Y datums are scribed into flat aluminum sheet and set equal distance to the X/Y datums. An aluminum template is then used to scribe in four stab shapes in cruciform fashion so they could all be done at the same time to insure uniformity.

IMG_1108.jpg

The next step is to punch in the LE rivet line and the center or number three rib. Note that the ribs do no go all the way back to the trailing edge; rather, the aft end of the rib terminates into a box beam at the trailing edge. These are the first lines to go on. LE first, followed by the center rib and then the TE rivet line.

Note that the TE rivet line terminates at the static balance opening and not the outboard end

IMG_1295.jpg

Next, the TE terminations go on. There are six rivets in this line which form the inboard edge of the static balance opening. Note that there only five shown. The sixth rivet goes in as part of a crossing rivet line.

IMG_1298.jpg

The box beam is now formed and the TE finished. According to NAA 117-21002 the aft most rivet line does not go all the way to the aft edge. The minor lines shown indicate rivet lines that attach false ribs within the box beam. At this point, alignment goes critical. Inked in lines act only as general location aids. Actual rivet location is determined from rivet to rivet location. 

IMG_1281_1.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

Alignments are checked in two ways. All lines are checked against the appropriate datum mechanically and when possible, an optical comparator is used to guage distance from a line to find rivet line location.

I know these seem like extreme measures, but with all the intersections, that have to line up in two planes, it needs to be done. 

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1313_1.jpg

Lateral lines go in next. Note that the center intersecting rivet is left out. This eliminates the need to align a series of rivets over long distance in two axis.Using this method keeps verticle alignment perfectly and allows individual place of the center rivet(lateral) where it needs to be. 

Note also that the terminal end rivets are the last to go on, again, to assure proper alignment with the lateral rivet lines.

IMG_1287.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

The doubling rivet lines are in along the first and second (from the leading edge rearward) rivet lines where the interface with the forward and aft spars. Also note that the aft end of the center rib is also doubled. This rib has doublers and serves as the center elevator pivot attachment point.

The inspection covers have been inked in to make sure they fit within the designated area. Also note that no rivets are visible along the inner most edge. The rivets in this location are covered by the fairing.

I know this all looks nuts and an awful lot of trouble to just put in rivets, but its the only way I could get everything to work out properly. Hopefully it might be of some help to someone else.

Hope everyone is well.

IMG_1322.jpg

Edited by Ironwing