Mustang...1/18nth Scale

Ironwing

I am looking ahead to your next project and thinking,how can this be topped?  You are essentially building and skinning a real airplane here so for the next one you might as well go ahead and build a 1/1 scale 'stang?

J

Wow Geoff! 

Your initial forays into the big dark world of aluminium skinning are very promising indeed! I don't know how this thread got away from me, but a lot has happened since I last checked. Very impressive results, especially on getting all those rivet pitches correct. Your numerous efforts and attention to detail clearly stand out and I can appreciate just how much time it took to get those right.

I'm intrigued by your use of an optical comparator. I've just done a quick search, but I'm not sure if they're the same as what you're suing here. The results you've obtained using it certainly speaks volumes for its potential. Would you be able to post a picture of it please?

Amazing work and highly inspirational. I can't wait to tackle the skinning on my B-17.

Cheers,

Craig

I am looking ahead to your next project and thinking,how can this be topped?  You are essentially building and skinning a real airplane here so for the next one you might as well go ahead and build a 1/1 scale 'stang?

J

Lets finish one...then go to the next one. This might take a while, but its an interesting thought. I was thing a 1/18 F-86

:rolleyes:

G

Wow Geoff! 

Your initial forays into the big dark world of aluminium skinning are very promising indeed! I don't know how this thread got away from me, but a lot has happened since I last checked. Very impressive results, especially on getting all those rivet pitches correct. Your numerous efforts and attention to detail clearly stand out and I can appreciate just how much time it took to get those right.

I'm intrigued by your use of an optical comparator. I've just done a quick search, but I'm not sure if they're the same as what you're suing here. The results you've obtained using it certainly speaks volumes for its potential. Would you be able to post a picture of it please?

Amazing work and highly inspirational. I can't wait to tackle the skinning on my B-17.

Cheers,

Craig

Hi Craig

Im glad you looked in and thanks for the pleasant remarks. It was a very difficult job. Keeping things straight is what led me to the comparator. It was just (at least for me) to get accurate, repeatable positioning of the straight edge. The slightest bit off and the lines would go crooked. It became exasperating after a time. The rivets on a 32nd B-17 would be about about half the diameter, perhaps smaller, of the rivets in 18nth.

I wasnt able to get a good photo of the comparator so ive included the URL which will lead you to it.

Again ...thank you

Best

Geoff

http://www.edmundoptics.com/microscopy/magnifiers/comparators/edmund-6x-pocket-comparator/1600/

Hi Geoff,

This build simply makes me smile. That's why I keep coming back. 

If you love the process of discovery, (and I know you do) the countless moments of introspection which leads to discovery..the stream of "I don't yet know how I'm going to do this, but I know there is a solution" Then this is satisfying with every victory- Bursts of inspiration folded into talents you already possess..it all comes together to create something awesome out of nothing.

Everything that "is" starts simply as an idea. You are manifesting this out of your creative mind into the physical; and that is really cool.

If you go way back to Timmy!'s 1/24th scale scratchbuilt OV-10, you'd see the spark of inspiration for so many of us...It was he, I believe, that first covered plastic with aluminum panel by panel...I've done the vertical tail of my AT-38 in this fashion, and will cover the whole jet. panel by panel as well...but that work is a few months off, so I truly appreciate watching you..I am cheering you on and gathering inspiration along the way.

Cheers

Pete    

Hi Craig

Im glad you looked in and thanks for the pleasant remarks. It was a very difficult job. Keeping things straight is what led me to the comparator. It was just (at least for me) to get accurate, repeatable positioning of the straight edge. The slightest bit off and the lines would go crooked. It became exasperating after a time. The rivets on a 32nd B-17 would be about about half the diameter, perhaps smaller, of the rivets in 18nth.

I wasnt able to get a good photo of the comparator so ive included the URL which will lead you to it.

Again ...thank you

Best

Geoff

http://www.edmundoptics.com/microscopy/magnifiers/comparators/edmund-6x-pocket-comparator/1600/

Awesome Geoff,

thanks very much for the link. I may have to invest.... I need anything that will help me and my mediocre modelling skills. If I can achieve something even a quarter as good as what you've been able to do here, it will more than pay for itself!

I look forward to seeing your next steps on the build. Good luck mate!

Craig

Hi Geoff,

This build simply makes me smile. That's why I keep coming back. 

If you love the process of discovery, (and I know you do) the countless moments of introspection which leads to discovery..the stream of "I don't yet know how I'm going to do this, but I know there is a solution" Then this is satisfying with every victory- Bursts of inspiration folded into talents you already possess..it all comes together to create something awesome out of nothing.

Everything that "is" starts simply as an idea. You are manifesting this out of your creative mind into the physical; and that is really cool.

If you go way back to Timmy!'s 1/24th scale scratchbuilt OV-10, you'd see the spark of inspiration for so many of us...It was he, I believe, that first covered plastic with aluminum panel by panel...I've done the vertical tail of my AT-38 in this fashion, and will cover the whole jet. panel by panel as well...but that work is a few months off, so I truly appreciate watching you..I am cheering you on and gathering inspiration along the way.

Cheers

Pete    

Pete

Its difficult to respond to your post without departing humility. This said, I am deeply humbled and truly thankful for your kind words and support.

Thanks Bud...

Geoff

Awesome Geoff,

thanks very much for the link. I may have to invest.... I need anything that will help me and my mediocre modelling skills. If I can achieve something even a quarter as good as what you've been able to do here, it will more than pay for itself!

I look forward to seeing your next steps on the build. Good luck mate!

Craig

Craig,

Just to clarify...I used the comparator to set the graduated straight edge equal distance on each side of the panel split. I didnt use it to do the rivets. Rivet spacing is done against the straight edge which, is SECURELY taped in place.

Thanks for the well wishes...stay tuned!

Cheers

Geoff

Well...beeing away for a while.....

and come back.....DAMN Geoff.....the progress and craftmanship....i love it, and the riveting on the alu....

Impressive, also realize how much i still have to learn to master the modelbuilding.....well thats what drives one uh...doesnt it.

So keep em coming Geoff.

/Mal

Well...beeing away for a while.....

and come back.....DAMN Geoff.....the progress and craftmanship....i love it, and the riveting on the alu....

Impressive, also realize how much i still have to learn to master the modelbuilding.....well thats what drives one uh...doesnt it.

So keep em coming Geoff.

/Mal

Mal,

So good to see you back and always glad to hear from you. Glad you looked in. Really impressive work on your Bird Cage...beautiful finish as always.

Keepem coming :)

Cheers

Geoff