Hasegawa 1/32 Curtiss BF2C-1

Just finished this one for a friend, last night. While not a horrible kit, I think that Hase's F4B is a better kit, now having built both. This one has a few issues and flaws (some of the flaws being my own fault, of course!) that kind of bug me. But, overall, I like the way it turned out. I used the LSM resin cockpit set and Yellow Wings decals. The rigging was done with EZ-Line and the lights made from clear sprue. I used the kit engine and added the plug wires from copper wire. The Disney "Big Bad Wolf" squadron insignia for VB-2 (on USS Lexington) was made on my computer, as were the prop blade logos and "U.S. Navy" decals on the underside of the bottom wings.  I should note that this scheme is technically a "what if", as I don't believe that Lexington/VB-2 ever used the BF2C, but I'm not sure and this is what my friend wanted. It still looks believable, however. The WIP thread can be found here: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=51485

Thanks for checking in!

John

1_zps59ef807e.jpg

3_zps43406602.jpg

4_zps2610c252.jpg

6_zps0a8c0720.jpg

9_zps9224cf1d.jpg

11_zps2e9e10f1.jpg

13_zpsd68279a7.jpg

17_zps0e29f925.jpg

Very fine build and realistic photos. You could almost be back in the 30's.

I like that Big Bad Wolf very much, even if we can't find a photo.

In the words of a preacher in a forgettable movie, when challenged that "There ain't no Matthew 31" he replied "Well, there oughta' be" and that describes this build perfectly. There sure "oughta' be" a Big Bad Wolf squadron. If we can have a Pukin' Dog squadron, we oughta' have a Big Bad Wolf squadron.

Tnarg

Thanks, guys!

Just to clarify; the emblem is legit for VB-2. However, the questionable part is exactly when they used it and whether they ever used the BF2C. I love the Disney and Looney Tunes characters that were incorporated into nose art around this time and through WW2. Makes for some cool markings for modelers, for sure.

John

WOW......John...this looks so nice..so nice...it is rarerly seing them built.

i loke it alot...and the choice of paintshceme...

the weathering o think is spot on since theese birds were well maintanced and so on....(qualified guessing) please fill in..

you get wery high numbers feom me on this one...i like it alot since it also stands out.

/Mal

Thanks, Mal!

The weathering was kept to a minimum, for sure. My friend and I discussed this and reached the conclusion that Navy planes in peacetime were pretty well maintained, so they were constantly being cleaned and touched up. He's also ex-military (retired USMC Master Gunny), so we're both fully aware of what enlisted men do when there's no action going on.....they CLEAN STUFF! :lol:  I did add a few light oil stains coming from behind the cowl, but tried to keep it subtle. I also added a wash to a few key points along the panel lines. I did not want to completely "box out" the panels, but only added it here and there to suggest their presence, if that makes sense. Most of this was done on the front half of the fuselage, only, as the lines toward the rear are a lot thicker/deeper on the kit, anyway. So, they really didn't need to be pointed out.

Thanks again,

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels