Aeropoxy 1/32 Yak-3

LSP_Kevin

Interesting project Kev... let me know if you need any reference photos from the Military Aviation Museum's Yak-3. 

Bil

Thanks, Bil - I will. The kit is supposed to come with a CD-ROM of photos of the real thing, but mine didn't. I suspect Ray preferred to hang on to that! I've removed the fuel gauge details that were moulded into the wings, so I'll have to reinstate those when the time comes, and references would certainly come in handy!

Kev

This will be interesting. Some years ago I built this kit as my first resin model, and it was quiet a challenge! Placing the parts in front of a bright light revealed trillions of air bubbles inside the resin, which would immediately appear on the surface after some sanding. If I remember right, I had to thin the inner fuselage walls massively so that the cockpit would fit.  Propellers, exhausts and the landing gear were hardly usable.  But despite all the difficulties, I was happy once it was finished.

Today, there are some after market goodies for the Special Hobby kit, which might be helpfull (wheels, exhausts, and radio equipment).

Cheers

Alex

Today, there are some after market goodies for the Special Hobby kit, which might be helpfull (wheels, exhausts, and radio equipment).

Interesting! Can you help out with some links, Alex? In my search so far, I could only find seat belts (ordered), a couple of PE sets from Eduard (not interested), and an early instrument panel from Yahu. Wheels and exhausts I would definitely be interested in!

Kev

Thanks, Alex! Those wheels and exhausts are certainly tempting, though I note that the exhausts aren't available yet. The exhausts in the kit are a bit of a mess, so I'll be waiting for the Special Hobby ones I think.

Kev

Cool project Kev.........will the 190 be making a return to the bench in 2018 maybe?

Regards. Andy

Before that even, Andy! Once I get some proper bench time over the next few days (rather than just tinkering time), I'll haul all the bits back on to the bench and figure out where I left off. Look out for an update soon!

As far as the Yak goes, I bought some Rust-oleum primer in a spray can to see if it would deal with all the pin holes on the wings better than the dedicated modelling products, and I think so far it has. It doesn't shrink back in to all the details like Mr. Surfacer or the Tamiya primer, but takes a whole lot longer to dry. Once it finally has, I can sand it back a little, and take some Mr. Surfacer out of the jar to deal with the remaining pin holes.

Kev

OK, just a token update to kick this one along a bit, and also to provide some motivation for my continuing familiarity exercises with the new camera. I had a friend come over and give me some one-on-one tutelage yesterday (thanks, Graham!), and I'm keen to not let those lessons go to waste. It's just unfortunate that there's not much to see here!

First, some token but useful aftermarket:

rJlza1.jpg

I've also been able to acquire all the paints I need for this build:

fG8QFi.jpg

And finally, a photo of an actual model part - I've been working at eliminating all the air bubbles in the wings:

9TxXex.jpg

The Rust-oleum primer I used at first just refused to dry properly, so I overcoated it with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer, and then set about filling the pin holes with Mr. Surfacer 500. One more round and I should be done. I've also done what I can to thin the trailing edges, but I suspect I'll never get them to be razor-sharp. The area around the rear curve into the fuselage is especially problematic, but may look OK on the final assembly.

More soon!

Kev