Trumpeter 1:200 HMS Hood + Pontos Detail Set

Iain

I was in Glasgow last weekend , as it was my turn to the understanding husband, how understanding , well nearly 3 hours of andre Reiu  at the SECC hydro , Front row, center block no less... a VERY long evening , still many many brownie points earned!

and if you've never heard of the andre, well all I can say is cherish your ignorance...!

Its nearly 20 years ago now when I still worked in the Oil industry here in Aberdeen when talking to an engineer one day about model making in general and Hood in particular when he suddenly looked a little odd,  the next day he came in with a bunch of notebooks that his grandfather maintained. Turned out that he had worked at Browns from the 1900s to the late 30s as a commissioning engineer. the notebooks were filled with notes taken on hood, and other ships including KG5 while there were being fitted out commissioned and tested, Speeds of the ships , turbine pressures and s on pages and pages of them. 

One of the things I found out is that is was possible to stall a ship, just like a car , too much speed , insufficient steam pressure and all 30000 tons comes to a crashing hal!

The family connection makes all the difference when it comes to building a subject , 

ColinR

Edited by Scotsman

Hi again Dean,

Are you likely to be visiting the Cosford show this weekend? If I have the Pontos set by then I'll take it along.

With regard to the Trumpeter kit itself I've sent you a PM.

Iain

Thanks Ian, much appreciated!

Unfortunately, I'll not be at Cosford - the wife had an op last week & is confined to a wheelchair for a few weeks. I'm an unofficial carer. 

I'll tell you what, carers deserve every penny they earn. It's bloody hard work!!

Researching the PE for this kit, I have become a little confused. Or should I say, even more confused than normal.

Pontos is where Iain's getting his PE. Looking at Hannants, they have PE for the same kit, also from South Korea, but from Mk.1 Design? Is this the exact same PE?

I am assuming it's the same, because I can't believe two companies, from the same country, came up with the exact same looking PE set for the same kit?

But the PE sets are a thing of wonder & beauty. Simply massive and seriously changes the look of the model.

They should get into the LSP market. Eduard are pretty much dominant, but many of their parts seem to be there just for the sake of it. Scraping a bit of plastic off & then gluing on a bit of PE, only for it to look exactly the same, is an Eduard trait I'm not too keen on.

They should get into the LSP market. Eduard are pretty much dominant, but many of their parts seem to be there just for the sake of it. Scraping a bit of plastic off & then gluing on a bit of PE, only for it to look exactly the same, is an Eduard trait I'm not too keen on.

I would tend to agree; much of what's included in the average Eduard set, is completely useless, at least to me.

Pontos is where Iain's getting his PE. Looking at Hannants, they have PE for the same kit, also from South Korea, but from Mk.1 Design? Is this the exact same PE?

I am assuming it's the same, because I can't believe two companies, from the same country, came up with the exact same looking PE set for the same kit?

But the PE sets are a thing of wonder & beauty. Simply massive and seriously changes the look of the model.

Perhaps surprisingly, Pontos and Mk 1 Design are not the same - and the two sets are completely separate and original in their own right.

The Pontos set makes all previous detail sets for the Hood completely redundant IMHO.

The Pontos set is only just shipping - and has been developed with a lot of input from The Hood Association, as well as a very knowledgeable chap called EJ Foeth. Not only does it add detail, but the Pontos set also corrects a number of areas - it's also a lot more extensive.

If you have some time to kill - read the thread over on Model Warships to get some of the background on the Pontos set's development.

Reading it you'll see why, for me, there was only one choice!

I already have the Pontos set for HMS Dreadnought in 1:350 - and I was blown away by that. I'm expecting this to be in another league!

Their interest is nautical, so doubt they'd touch aeronautical subjects - but if they did...  :piliot:

Oh - and I'm *always* confused  :)

Have fun!

Iain

I was wondering about Mk 1 Design vs Pontos.

The Pontos set for the Mikasa has been supposedly available since September last year, but has been in fact almost unavailable. One was snatched literally just under my mouse on BNA' site, and never available again since then. But the Mk 1 Design just appeared then. For the Mikasa it is just amazing.

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Thanks Iain - I find it a little odd that two South Korea companies are making huge PE sets for warships at the same time, and they are fundamentally different. I suspect some sort of staff leaving & setting up in business doing the same thing, a la Silver Wings & Lukgraph perhaps?

Must be a South Korean speciality for some reason?

Thanks for the info, I'll pass on the Mk1 stuff and go straight for the Pontos. It looks epic in scale and volume, and if it adds corrections to the deal then what's not to like (besides the price)?

Mk1 do "Detail-Up" sets for the Revell He 219, Tamiya's Corsair, the giant B-17G & Hasegawa's P-47D. However, they are expensive - the B-17 set is around £125 - and are direct competitors to Eduard, who have absolutely dominated the PE market for LSP's. So I suppose they'll struggle to break into that market, although the sets do look interesting.

Hi Hubert,

The Mk 1 Design stuff is great from those I've seen, it's just that with the Hood set Pontos have benefited from not being first to market and have had a lot of help in terms of research.

The guys behind Pontos also come across as perfectionists - have met them a couple of times at Telford.

Iain

Perhaps surprisingly, Pontos and Mk 1 Design are not the same - and the two sets are completely separate and original in their own right.

And the Pontos set makes all previous detail sets for the Hood completely redundant IMHO.

The Pontos set is only just shipping - and has been developed with a lot of input from The Hood Association, as well as a very knowledgeable chap called EJFoeth. Not only does it add detail, but the Pontos set also corrects a number of areas - it's also a lot more extensive.

If you have some time to kill - read the thread over on Model Warships to get some of the background on the Pontos set's development.

Reading it you'll see why, for me, there was only one choice!

I already have the Pontos set for HMS Dreadnought in 1:350 - and I was blown away by that. I'm expecting this to be in another league!

Their interest is nautical, so doubt they'd touch aeronautical subjects - but if they did...  :piliot:

Oh - and I'm *always* confused  :)

Have fun!

Iain

The Model Warships thread is fascinating. I've never seen a manufacturer interact with potential customers like that. The way information was provided to Kim, allied to the swift manner in which he altered the PE set in order to match the suggestions, is amazing.

Other manufacturers could learn a lot by copying that approach. So much information & detail given freely by people with an incredibly deep knowledge of the ship is a superb approach. It's low cost, quick & accurate, is self regulated & turns people into customers at the same time.

Bloody brilliant!

Other manufacturers could learn a lot by copying that approach. So much information & detail given freely by people with an incredibly deep knowledge of the ship is a superb approach. It's low cost, quick & accurate, is self regulated & turns people into customers at the same time.

Bloody brilliant!

Actually, Minicraft did just that with their 1:350 Titanic model, accepting new information from the Titanic historical society and some other sources, to upgrade the then existing kit to a more accurate standard. There have been other examples of this as well.

Oh great subject. .... will follow for shure :) 

Today I received the Pontos set for the HOOD and for the MIKASA from the DHL man .... what a huge set it is ..... I fear lot of work already :) :) :) 

I thhink I will start the Mikasa these days ....

Cheers

Michael

Today I received the Pontos set for the HOOD and for the MIKASA from the DHL man .... what a huge set it is ..... I fear lot of work already :) :) :)

I thhink I will start the Mikasa these days ....

Cheers

Michael

Look forward to seeing progress Michael - great subject!  :)

What is going on here ? Has this keel been laid now or is it still in the engineering phase ?

J

Currently in 'Padded Cell' phase - soon to be escalated to 'Straight-Jacket' in next few days Jerry!  ;)

Actually, if I get time tomorrow, I'll try to make as start on some photos...

Just had notification my Pontos set is in the post and on its way down from Aberdeen to mi casa*.

:frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Iain

*supplied by 'Bad Puns R Us' - I accept no responsibility whatsoever.

Well lian, gone and done it ordered it (Pontos Set) from BNA in Australia, they have it in stock, and cheaper than trying to buy it here in the USA.

All your fault (at least thats what I am going to tell "her in doors' when she finds out.

Andy