Seafire Mk.47, Update 4/21 - basic stuff

Jeff Herne

Of all the projects I could have selected, I have to start this one?

Sometimes I wonder...but...I opened the box and trimmed parts, so I'm committed now...

DSC_0567_zps0836aa4b.jpg

DSC_0568_zpse7557722.jpg

This should be interesting...lots of cutting, grinding, filling, sanding, and probably swearing...

Will post as I go, since I have the camera connected directly to the computer now...

J

Edited by Jeff Herne

Guest Peterpools

Jeff

Nope, surely isn't insanity. Just a tough kit looking to be built. Looking forward forward to you digging in and following along.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Cracking subject - it'll look brilliant when done - we have every faith in you Jeff!!

Actually - I wish I'd bought one of the conversions when available...

Iain

I've got one of these too Jeff. Last year I finished up a Mk 24 build using the Matchbox kit, and it's a nightmare all by itself. Throw in an extensive conversion, and things could get ugly! But I'm sure you'll cope Jeff. Just remember to glue the wing root fairings to the fuselage first. I glued them to the wings first, and suffered.

Kev

All right, I've gotten the inspiration from the experts, here I go...lol...

Iain, all I've done is trim the parts, and cleanly thus far...I could still be talked out of this conversion if you REALLY want it!  :frantic:

But you've got maybe an hour or two to decide before it's too late!!

Oh...these panel lines...ugh...

J

I hope you don't mind the suggestion but a Warbirds or Radu Brinzan Griffon nose will help enormously (Jen's six-blade spinner will match - I've checked).

You can modify the nose as is (Russkampf did a creditable job of it on his Spitfire XIV IIRC) but maintaining symmetry is difficult.

Apparently (I believe Edgar has confirmed this) the Matchbox flaps and wing fairings are enlarged to suit the FR47 (but aren't suitable for the intended F22/24).

I hope some photos of the modified radiators will turn up during this build, because I know as soon as I cut mine using guesswork they'll be wrong!

But with one survivor still flying (Nelson Ezell's VP441 O-139) they just might.....

fighter1_1280dx.jpg

Edited by Chek

Hi Jeff,

It's definitely a challenging one. Mine is part done sitting in a drawer next to my workbench. There is a WiP on here that covers as far as I got on the build. Thierry also has some recommendations he made on it that might help you out as well.

I hope you get yours completed. It might just give me the push to finish mine.

PS- Just to show how crazy I am, I picked up a second conversion set and donor kit second hand. Maybe I'll do a Mk21

Carl

Ok, so first question...the Freightdog conversion has very large gear blisters for the upper wings, while the Matchbox kit has a set that are 40% smaller...and I've seen both on Seafire 47 models in other scales...was this a mid-production change? Drawings in the SAM Modellers' Datafile on Griffon-engined Spits show the larger bulges?

Hmm....