HK B-17E

TimW

I would have figured interior green.

Zinc chromate yellow seems a likely choice for an E

Don't let Tom Probert hear you say that Tim!  :frantic:

He is very much a subject matter expert when it comes to this. If you want a good run down on what colours go where, ask him.

Basically, and this is what I'm doing for my D, is the cockpit and radio room (possibly bomb bay for you) finished in DDG (dull dark green). Beware of modern restorations as they are painted in confusing or misleading ways. The interior of the nose and cockpit sidewalls were covered in a soundproofing material that had a olive drab shade to it. The rear fuselage was generally left unpainted aluminium.

Hope this helps,

Craig

WHAT! INTERIOR GREEN? NEVER! :)

It's a very common misconception that B-17s were painted interior green throughout, but never, at any time in B-17 production, was Interior Green (or zinc chromate for that matter) used.

The flightdeck was the only painted area, with exposed metal being Bronze Green. The side walls had an olive green padding. All other areas of the interior, from the nose thu' to the tail, were left in natural metal, on all versions of the B-17. There were some ribs and small interior fittings painted Bronze green, but this appears to vary between batches of aircraft. It appears that there were some batches of early camouflaged aircraft (late D models, E models and some Fs) which had the bomb bays painted neutral grey, but after many years of research I've been unable to pin-down specific batch/block numbers.

B-17E and early F models left the factory with sound-proofing fitted to the interiors of the nose and radio room, which was covered in an olive green padding. This was more often than not removed once in combat though, revealing the bare aluminium beneath. 

Floors were plywood with black anti-slip padding, apart from the area beneath the rudder pedals which was metal and painted Bronze green.

Wheel bays were also left unpainted.

Restored B-17s are often painted Interior Green for anti-corrosion purposes, but why they use IG is beyond me. Perhaps there is a cheap abundance of it. 'Yankee Lady' is Bronze Green throughout though, so at least they were half way there... 

I've got a lot more specific info on the B-17 if you need it - just send a PM. I'm sure many other B-17s aficionados will happily chip in, too.

All the best,

Tom

WHAT! INTERIOR GREEN? NEVER! :)

It's a very common misconception that B-17s were painted interior green throughout, but never, at any time in B-17 production, was Interior Green (or zinc chromate for that matter) used.

The flightdeck was the only painted area, with exposed metal being Bronze Green. The side walls had an olive green padding. All other areas of the interior, from the nose thu' to the tail, were left in natural metal, on all versions of the B-17. There were some ribs and small interior fittings painted Bronze green, but this appears to vary between batches of aircraft. It appears that there were some batches of early camouflaged aircraft (late D models, E models and some Fs) which had the bomb bays painted neutral grey, but after many years of research I've been unable to pin-down specific batch/block numbers.

B-17E and early F models left the factory with sound-proofing fitted to the interiors of the nose and radio room, which was covered in an olive green padding. This was more often than not removed once in combat though, revealing the bare aluminium beneath. 

Floors were plywood with black anti-slip padding, apart from the area beneath the rudder pedals which was metal and painted Bronze green.

Wheel bays were also left unpainted.

Restored B-17s are often painted Interior Green for anti-corrosion purposes, but why they use IG is beyond me. Perhaps there is a cheap abundance of it. 'Yankee Lady' is Bronze Green throughout though, so at least they were half way there... 

I've got a lot more specific info on the B-17 if you need it - just send a PM. I'm sure many other B-17s aficionados will happily chip in, too.

All the best,

Tom

Tom--

Many thanks for that informative post.  Good thing I didn't start painting yet....

Sounds like mostly natural metal, apart from the cockpit area.  Luckily I figured out what bronze green looked like some time ago!

Cheers,

Tim W.

Here is another link to Life pics of the B-17:

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/4b69cb3432974991.html

Jari

Thanks for sending!  Very interesting and I wonder how many of the LIFE pics were staged?  LIke the one of the waist gunner, heavy coat on, mask, etc.  But no gloves as he holds on the machine gun barrel, and the guys sitting on the floor behind him are in shirt sleeves!  Too funny.  But some nice interior pics - looks aluminum to me at the waist!

Guest Peterpools

Tim

Good luck with Fortress and the information already shared is priceless. I'll be following, learning and enjoying every step of the way.

I'm ready and waiting

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

Well, bugger.

I'm still missing some PE.   I'm hesitant to buy the G model stuff that is available as I'm not sure how accurate it would be.  Specifically, the sets for the cockpit, radio room and fuselage.

Any thoughts on that?  I may be overthinking this...   :m0152:

Cheers,

Tim W.

If I were to get one, I would go for pit and bomb bay and that's it. Not much else can be seen....Harv

That's kind of where I've been going.

Although the radio room will be very visible with the open window, along with waist gun positions--not that there's tons of detail needed in the waist.

Need more seatbelts.