HK B-17E

TimW

• 1 month later...

The Tamiya FB VI or the HK Models Mk IV?

TW

Im going for the tamiya bird with a lot of aftermarket

Now im going to collect the am voor the B-17 i dondt now yet what version im going for

time will tell if im looking for the decals

Mark

Im going for the tamiya bird with a lot of aftermarket

Now im going to collect the am voor the B-17 i dondt now yet what version im going for

time will tell if im looking for the decals

Mark

Won't need much AM for the Tamiya kit.  The HK can use a  bit.  

TW

• 3 weeks later...

While doing research for my 2nd bomber, I found these pics of the unrestored Memphis Belle taken in 1979. You can find lots of good pics showing what was painted and what wasn't

http://aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com/b-17_mbelle/b-17_mbelle.htm

For mine, I am painting the nose, cockpit and radio room, the bomb bay and waist will be NMF with random ribs and whatnot painted. I just cannot see them sending out planes without painted cockpits or front nose, I would think the glare would be horrible from the unpainted aluminum.

While doing research for my 2nd bomber, I found these pics of the unrestored Memphis Belle taken in 1979. You can find lots of good pics showing what was painted and what wasn't

http://aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com/b-17_mbelle/b-17_mbelle.htm

For mine, I am painting the nose, cockpit and radio room, the bomb bay and waist will be NMF with random ribs and whatnot painted. I just cannot see them sending out planes without painted cockpits or front nose, I would think the glare would be horrible from the unpainted aluminum.

Only the cockpit was painted. All other areas remained in natural metal.

The E models and early Fs had an olive green sound proofing in the nose and radio room, but this more often than not removed once in service.