Hasegawa Fw 190S Conversion

LSP_Kevin

Thanks, fellas. I've just discovered a major issue, which I'll post photos of later, but it will prevent me from being able to fit the wing to the fuselage if I can't fix it!

Kev

Doesn't sound good Kev, any posotive progress or is she going to the SOD/ Bin forever?

Regards. Andy

Doesn't sound good Kev, any posotive progress or is she going to the SOD/ Bin forever?

Regards. Andy

I think it's recoverable, but won't know for sure until I try. I have to hack away a decent portion of the rear of the engine and bottom of the firewall in order for the lower wing to fit, due to the much deeper wheel bays from the newer Hasegawa kit I installed.

I'll post some photos when I can.

Kev

I think it's recoverable, but won't know for sure until I try. I have to hack away a decent portion of the rear of the engine and bottom of the firewall in order for the lower wing to fit, due to the much deeper wheel bays from the newer Hasegawa kit I installed.

I'll post some photos when I can.

Kev

Sounds promising Kev, you are coming along leaps and bounds with this one and loving the updates.

Regards. Andy

With no open engine cowel panels it all looks very recoverable Kev.........Dremel out and game on  :goodjob:

Regards. Andy

Indeed! I should mention that in the first photo in my previous post, I've already removed the two lower mounting arms for the engine. Hopefully the engine won't fall out once I'm done with the Dremel!

Kev

Indeed! I should mention that in the first photo in my previous post, I've already removed the two lower mounting arms for the engine. Hopefully the engine won't fall out once I'm done with the Dremel!

Kev

Noting a bit of carefully applied 2 part epoxy etc to add a little strength wont sort me thinks!

Regards. Andy

Noting a bit of carefully applied 2 part epoxy etc to add a little strength wont sort me thinks!

Regards. Andy

Yeah, I'm not especially concerned about it at this stage - just annoyed that I didn't see it coming!

Kev

Well folks, I'm happy to report that the Dremel has solved my wing fit issue as expected. I'll post some photographic evidence later. I seem to have introduced a slight bend in the forward fuselage somewhere along the line, however, as the front and rear mating sections of the wing no longer line up 100% with the fuselage. Again, photos later, but I think it should be easy enough to compensate for this oddity.

Kev

OK, here are the promised photos of the wing fit solution. Firstly, here's the Dremel damage:

IfRiqx.jpg

And the resultant fit:

kLUe6i.jpg

Much better!

Here's a slightly blurry photo to show how the wing fit is not square on any more for some reason:

KNg6ui.jpg

In the photo, the rear end of the wing assembly is nestled against its corresponding fuselage mating surface as it should be; it's a bit gappy, but otherwise fitting normally. The forward end, however, shows a mismatch, with the fuselage appearing to skew to the right. Oddly, when I line the front sections up correctly, and just let the rear section fit where it touches, the entire wing then looks crooked in relation to the fuselage. It's a bit of a head-scratcher, but I'll let the problem percolate for a while and see if a solution presents itself.

Kev

Kev,

It looks like you've introduced a kick in the forward fuselage when you put the cockpit in.
The engine appears closer to the cowl skin on the starboard side, yet the engine crank seems to line up to the centreline of the aft fuselage.
Can you relieve the glue joint at the engine firewall and perhaps bend the engine cowl into submission?

Goodluck.

Kais.

Kev,

It looks like you've introduced a kick in the forward fuselage when you put the cockpit in.

The engine appears closer to the cowl skin on the starboard side, yet the engine crank seems to line up to the centreline of the aft fuselage.

Can you relieve the glue joint at the engine firewall and perhaps bend the engine cowl into submission?

Goodluck.

Kais.

You could be right, but I can't see any obvious problems, to be honest. I even laid a ruler along the centre line of the fuselage, and it seemed to line up correct along the full length! I didn't expect that. One possible solution is to cut through the join between the two halves at the lower front of the fuselage, and then glue the lower wing into place and align the front sections independently - if that makes sense. We shall see!

Kev