Visual basic differences between P-61A and P-61B for HB P-61 "A/B&

gunner

Not having the kit on my desk, I am relying on intel from others, who have the new HB P-61A/B? kit. I guess what we have is a little bit of the "A" and some of the "B" version. As far as I understand it there are 3 areas of concern. These are as follows;

The kit's central fuselage is the correct shape and length for a "B" model

The main landing gear doors are single doors portraying an "A" model. The "B" has split double doors creating 4 part landing gear doors. While the gear is extended or retracted all 4 doors would open. Once the sequence is done, the rear doors would close, preventing mud, dust etc. from entering the gear well. This looks to be a somewhat easy fix with a razor saw and scribing tool with the kit's existing main doors. Also, I believe that a landing light was added to the nose gear of "B" versions.

Main wing trim tabs were present on the "A" model and not on the "B" model. I am not sure what the kit has but this would be an easy fix to convert it to a "B" with some putty and re-scribing.

As far as the cockpit goes, I believe that all "B's" had NVG for the pilot and many "A's" were retrofitted with it. I am sure there are some minor cockpit differences as well, but I am not sure how visible these would be.

That said. I look forward to getting this kit and doing what it takes to make an Iwo Jima "B" version.

Edited by gunner

Hello Mike,

That pretty well covers it :speak_cool:

The kit nose radome represents the early P-61A plexiglas/metal composite version, so you may wish to fill and sand this to look more representative of the heavy duty fibre glass/MR resin radome that was fitted to all later P-61A and B aircraft.

Good luck

Derek

Yes, Dave Williams. It looks like I got the door thing ass-backwards. The rear doors are what closes. Looking at line drawing it looks like there are 4 doors for the MLG. There are 2 forward doors open when the main gear is extended. I will edit my post as noted.

Derek, Thanks for the heads up on the nose cone. This looks like an easy fix also.

I purchased my drafting table/workshop desk, from an auction at Northrop in Hawthorne CA almost 34 years ago. The manufacturers placard date this desk to March 1942. I want to believe that Northrop engineers did drawings for the P-61 or maybe the Flying Wing on the same desk that I have been modeling on all this time

I am kinda excited about this one.

Edited by gunner

I think for the MLG doors, the larger rear portion of the doors close. Also, is the inboard MLG door one piece or two pieces? I thought the only MLG door normally open with the gear full down on the P-61B is the outboard small door, where the strut passes through.

Yes, that is right Dave.

On some P-61B aircraft, there to be a different outboard forward door which is rectangular in shape and has a mating small rectangular inboard door portion that is attached to the inbord side stay strut. This small strut mounted door slots into place upon retraction of the MLG (the P-61 maintenance manual refers to this as the strut door).

The main aft doors on P-61B aircraft are sequenced to open and close following main gear travel between locked up and fully down. The single piece outboard forward door portion (which in essence is 'L' shaped) is mechanically linked to the leg (even though the sytem is hydraulically actuated) and closes upon retraction.

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Hello Mike,

That pretty well covers it :speak_cool:

The kit nose radome represents the early P-61A plexiglas/metal composite version, so you may wish to fill and sand this to look more representative of the heavy duty fibre glass/MR resin radome that was fitted to all later P-61A and B aircraft.

Good luck

Derek

This thread is very helpful. Can you recommend any drawings comparing the radomes? I'm curious about how the shapes compare.

Thanks, Tom

I purchased my drafting table/workshop desk, from an auction at Northrop in Hawthorne CA almost 34 years ago. The manufacturers placard date this desk to March 1942. I want to believe that Northrop engineers did drawings for the P-61 or maybe the Flying Wing on the same desk that I have been modeling on all this time

Seems entirely possible. Years ago, I used a Hamilton Industries electrically operated drafting board that was the best board I've ever used in my life. If I had the space (I currrently do not), I'd love to hunt one down and grab it. Rock solid, and almost infinitely adjustable, it was the Rolls Royce of drawing boards as far as I'm concerned.

This thread is very helpful. Can you recommend any drawings comparing the radomes? I'm curious about how the shapes compare. Thanks, Tom

Hello Tom,

The shape differences between the early plexiglas/metal composite nose and the later fibre glass radomes are very subtle and are best appreciated from photographs (I have posted some images of the P-61 radomes covering this discussion in another post somewhere on LSP). The only drawing that I have found - which I found off the internet somewhere, so I have no idea of it's origin - that really shows the difference between the radome types is reporoduced below (fair usage policy applies here):

p61bsections_zps2713fb01.jpg

Having spent a long time studying photographs of P-61's, this is my opinion of the nose radome shape differences.

The early P-61A plexiglas/metal radome appears to be very slightly assymetric about the rounded front shape when viewed in side profile (fractionally more rounded towards the top than bottom). The fibre glass radomes of the later P-61A and B are identical in shape the nose of the radome appears to be a true round radius in side profile.

In photographs, the early P-61A plexiglas/metal radomes also appear to somewhat more bulbuos in plan profile at the front than the fibre glass radomes of the later P-61A and B aircraft, which in comparison appear to be slightly more taprered and flat sided as the shape progresses aft to the fuselage.

As mentioned, these changes are very subtle and are only noticeable when viewed from certain angles on the aircraft, so may not be at all obvious to the casual observer. The important thing is that if you wish to portray the correct radome for a P-61B, then you will need to remove the plxiglas detail from the kit radome and make the nose smooth with no ridges.

HTH

Derek