84 replies to this topic

#76 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:05 AM

Gaz

Looks good and if Jay recommends anything "109" related, he is the king!

I've never used masks that way and am wondering if backing off the working psi and a ,2 tip AB might be helpful in getting the results you want.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Gazzas likes this

XMoWX3.jpg

Fisher Sea Fury FB.II 

#77 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:41 AM

Jay and Peter,

Thank you for the recommendations.  This is obviously an area I need to bone up on.  I don't really have a lot of air brush experience, only been using one for a couple of years.  Another airbrush would put me at three, though number one is showing a lot of wear and has me contemplating  chucking it.

I recently took a kit from the SOD and made it a paint hack.  So, I can practice without fear of ruining a paint job and having to go back to square one.

I also took some 4000-grit micromesh and wore down the paint a little, so the mottle looks a little less stark.  A few washes should help a bit, too.   It helped a little:

AJdt3v.jpg

hglXNj.jpg

My only concession to weathering so far is some surface paint scratching at the wing root, and side of the canopy whee the pilot would climb in.  I'm no longer going to go for bare metal anywhere on a LW bird unless I see some good, unequivocal photographic evidence.

QXKdWA.jpg

The AK paints, while I like their colors and ease of use are very, very frail.  Even easier to flake off than the stuff I make with tube paint and Future.

Thanks again!

Gaz

• LSP_Kevin, mustang1989, tucohoward and 1 other like this

​We don't have social skills.  We build models.

#78 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

Gaz
I’m holding steady with four air brushes these days and all are H&S and Iwatas. All have different tip sizes allowing different paint application. Over the years, I’ve found varying the psi just a bit and jockying the trigger allows me to handle specific needs and effects.
Seems buying air brushes is a disease with no known cure.
Peter
  • tucohoward and Gazzas like this

XMoWX3.jpg

Fisher Sea Fury FB.II 

#79 Basilisk

Basilisk

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:31 AM

Nice progress Gas. Are you still waiting for the upper wing replacement from Eduard?

I am currently doing a similar comparison at Britmodeller, but included the Zvezda kit into the mix. I am still in the cockpit assembly stage, so it is interesting to see your experiences with the two builds.

I found the Tamiya kit the leader of the pack in regards to accuracy and amount of incorporated detail. The Eduard kit on the other hand is lacking in detail (compared to the Tamiya kit) and has a lot of errors when it comes to detail which is a real shame.

And as you already noted, the Eduard fuselage is unfortunately still a bit out of wack, being too tall and too wide behind the cockpit. And yes. it is not by much, but still results in a noticeable difference.

Talking about noticeable, I question the accuracy of the AK Interactive 74 and 75 tones. I am not an expert, but the contrast between the two looks very low on your model and 74 looks more like an olive green, at least on your pictures.

The picture below is the Australian 109G which as far as I know is still in the original colours.

Bf_109G_6.sized.jpg

Looking forward seeing your progress.

Cheers, Peter

• Martinnfb, mustang1989 and Gazzas like this

#80 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:51 AM

Peter,

Thank you!  And thanks for sharing your comparison build.  I hadn't ,noticed the fuselage depth of the Eduard kit being out as I didn't press opposing halves against each other.  I built the Zvezda last year and found it to be a decent kit which was unfortunately molded to have the radiator flaps closed, just like on the box art.  I have an account over at Britmodeller, so I'll start watching your build.  I can already seen you've gone into a bit more detail than me.

I'm less than perfectly happy with the AK paints and have experimented in tinting them, and making them a bit tougher with acrylic tube paints and Future.  My experiments worked on my paint hack, so I won't chuck them.  The bad thing is, I'll have to touch up all of the places the primer came through.

Cheers,

Gaz

#81 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:04 AM

Hi everyone,

Been putting on the decals on the Tamiya kit.  The only plastic parts not yet on the kit are the MG-131 barrels.  Here are some photos:

ZXRkJ3.jpg

My first semi-successful spinner decal.  These decals are thinner than older Tamiya decals.  They tend to sink in nicely but are thick enough where you get some second chances when you mess up.

YcrHZa.jpg

You'll notice the white primer showing on the edges.  This is where paint has come off through handling.  Of course...  touch up will be required.

YrKiOZ.jpg

There are a lot more stencils I could/should add.  But they are tiny little things that I don't think will add much to the build.

6cfJZv.jpg

After touch up painting, I'll seal the decals, and work on the weathering.  Looking forward to try to make the difference between RLM74 and RLM75 more pronounced.

My best mate:

jjubcH.jpg

She has a tendency to try to bathe me when I'm on hands and knees looking for a lost part.

Cheers,

Gaz

• LSP_Kevin, RBrown, Martinnfb and 4 others like this

#82 mustang1989

mustang1989

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:26 PM

Been out of commission for the past month and man did I miss ALOT!!! Those decals look fantastic Gazz!!!! Looks great bud.

Edited by mustang1989, 04 June 2018 - 09:27 PM.

• Gazzas likes this

#83 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:22 AM

Thanks, Joe!  Glad to have you back!

Gaz

• mustang1989 likes this

#84 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,202 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

Gaz
Aces on a beautiful build and the cammo work looks simply stellar
Peter
  • Gazzas likes this

XMoWX3.jpg

Fisher Sea Fury FB.II 

#85 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:57 PM

Thank you Peter.  I've a fair bit of paint modulation and fading...and oil streaking and...  but it's all on hold.  I have a group build on another forum to complete and the days are winding down.

Gaz

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users