Tamiya 1:48 Me 262

LSP_K2

Now that my Mustang fuselage is all glued up and drying, I decided to switch gears over to wrapping up the Me 262 ‘pit. The Eduard LOOK IP is really spiffy, and goes a long way toward enhancing this area, not that it can really be seen in this photo.

uwy9Jo.jpg

Due to yet another error on my part (nose gear/weight installed incorrectly), I had some issues getting the cannon bay doors to fit properly, but nothing some Vallejo putty didn’t make short work of it. Front cowl will still need Tamiya white, but will work out just fine.

81ZBAT.jpg

Plane now gets her horizontal tails, (which actually took me quite a while to find, all too typical for me), while work continues on the gun bay doors I completely messed up. Leave it to me to screw up a Tamiya kit. I seem to have a special talent for botching even the best of kits. I also chopped off a large portion of the nose gear, as it was getting pretty mangled during the prep work.

9zT29s.jpg

Wings (on starboard side), had some comparatively minor interference issues that I was having some difficulties with, but now that I’ve worked that out, I’ve spritzed the areas under the rear glass and sills with interior color (Tamiya XF-63), so that I now can finally add the glass and masks. I also added back the removed gun bay door hinges (using Plastruct .020 rod, though .015 might have been better, and I may redo those), as these were completely lost during the process of correcting the misaligned (my fault) doors. Primer time is fast approaching and that will certainly show me what still needs to be done, and I imagine there will be something, probably several somethings. Also, just for giggles, I made sure to drop the fuselage on the concrete floor tonight, breaking open several small seams, this in addition to falling on my tail bone on the concrete floor, a freak accident. Sigh.

aU61xW.jpg

I decided the .020 hinges were a bit too much, so replaced them with Plastruct .010 rods (it took four tries to get it right though). I think they look much better now. After some minor clean-up and windscreen installed, the front area was spritzed with some primer, and obviously still needs more help.

alF8vp.jpg

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

Love to see another Me262 build.  Interesting that all the 262 kits seem to have issue with the fit of the gun cowlings.  But your nose looks nice and clean now!

The fit problems were entirely of my own making, as far as I can determine. The nose wheel well/counterweight was installed cocked to one side, and that created the fit issues.