Mitsuo Fuchida Nakajima Kate Pearl Harbor attack markings?

Eli, here’s what I have come across so far:

“1st Attack Unit (AKAGI)................................................................Cdr. Mitsuo Fuchida (AI-301)  15 Kates armed with 800-kg armor-piercing bombs [Battleship Row] ”

e7X7nyy.jpg

YE9o9nI.jpg

— Attack on Pearl Harbor: Japan Awakens a Sleeping Giant: Expanded Digital Edition by Bert Kinzey
https://a.co/3y7U3VI

By the way, I highly recommend this as an overall reference. Others are from an internet search:

i7QVlPE.jpg

1FDeTvN.jpg

The consensus from what I’ve read is that the upper surface was black green. The Hasegawa 1/48 instructions call for Gunze H36 Nakajima green for example. The lower surfaces have been thought to be silver (again Hasegawa instructions for example) but might have been light grey.

Fir whatever it’s worth, here are the MRP colors I’m planning to use:

MRP425 MRP D2 Ryokukokushoku (Black Green) 

MRP427 IJNAF J3 Hai Iro (Ash Gray)

You might also check out the AK Real Colors IJN paint series which were developed in collaboration with noted expert Nicholas Millman.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

3 hours ago, seiran01 said:

Great info, Tom!

Glad to help Mike! According to this article, http://worldwartwo.filminspector.com/2019/12/mitsuo-fuchida-pearl-harbor-commander.html?expand_article=1

after Fuchida’s aircraft landed deck crew counted 21 flack holes in his aircraft and the rudder cable was almost severed. Would this account for the extensive missing paint? In no other photos of Kates in this mission do I see similar paint wear. By the way, his aircraft is allegedly the only one to have been in the air over Pearl Harbor during both attack waves.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

For whatever it’s worth, here’s the decal sheet for the new Border Kate (screenshot from Andy’s HHQ preview video):

VWC12w1.jpg

Markings are primarily for Fuchida’s aircraft piloted by Lt. Mitsuo Matsuzaki and for the leader of the 1st Torpedo Attack Unit, first attack wave piloted by Lt. Cdr. Shigeharu Murata. However, it looks like you have the option to build other aircraft as well from the Akagi or Kaga, and possibly from the Soryu.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

A quick FYI: the photos of Fuchida's aircraft are stills taken from newsreel footage shot during the Indian Ocean raid in late March-early April 1942. The upper surface dark green was applied shortly before the Pearl Harbor attack, possibly in transit. This paint was applied without the benefit of a primer coat. That, combined with the Kido Butai's intense operational pace from January to April 1942, played hell with the paintwork. An aircraft at the time of the Pearl Harbor raid would have had a near-factory fresh appearance.  

Edited by coogrfan

On 12/29/2023 at 11:47 AM, Uncarina said:

Thank you! Do you have suggested references for this? I don’t doubt you, just want to learn more.

Cheers,  Tom

The photos are identified here: https://japanese-aviation.forumotion.com/t21-41-ceylon-raid-april-5-1942

The info regarding the painting of Akagi's Kankos can be found here: https://japanese-aviation.forumotion.com/t48-14-pearl-harbor-raid-training-time

The owner of this webpage has utilized a number of sources, including the research of the late David Aiken. 

Edited by coogrfan

Fuchida led Akagi's high altitude bombers as part of the attack on Battleship Row. As such his aircraft carried a single Type 99 No. 80 Mk 5 bomb.  

"Tear drop shaped bomb, eight recesses around the nose could allow the fitting of a wind shield if used as a projectile. Adopted in 1941, basically a converted 40 cm AP shell, capable of penetrating 150 mm of armor". 

xIcGxHP.jpg

Type 99 AP bomb shown on right.