Hasegawa Fi-156c - Norwegian air force

Grunticus

I have decided against adding tubing to the inner side of the greenhouse. I'm just too scared I will ruin it with glue creeping under the tape, plus there is little wiggle room. Sorry to those who were looking forward to it.

The engine parts are cleaned up, but before I start I will add the last fiddly bits to the cockpit and door.

My poor eyes... The start of the compass.

edaHgl4.jpg

The flare case, Eduard say you have to remove the detail on the kit part, but that is not necassary, it fits around it with no problems. That ring will most likely fly off, I'll remover it when pulling the tape.

aKgtgLh.jpg

More fiddly stuff ahead... I think I will add a dome over the compass (lower right), I think I hace a Phantom part leftover that's ideal for the job.

5SBFykH.jpg

I understand the concern about dirtying the transparencies with glue while building the internal structure.
it's definitely not something I would do after placing the masks*. but by using the flex-i-file extremely sparingly, it's a job that can be done, I swear.

*having drawn them and cut them with the plotter! I admit I'm deeply envious, I received my Silhouette before Christmas but at the moment it only serves as a dust catcher.

:BANGHEAD2:

I won't be the one to tempt you by telling you to try to do the internal structure, no no... but if this old man with stone hands did it, well, I'd give it a thought! ;)

note: let it be said without any flattery: so far your work is definitely cleaner and more organized than mine, really.

Edited by mc65

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, mc65 said:

I understand the concern about dirtying the transparencies with glue while building the internal structure.
it's definitely not something I would do after placing the masks*. but by using the flex-i-file extremely sparingly, it's a job that can be done, I swear.

*having drawn them and cut them with the plotter! I admit I'm deeply envious, I received my Silhouette before Christmas but at the moment it only serves as a dust catcher.

:BANGHEAD2:

I won't be the one to tempt you by telling you to try to do the internal structure, no no... but if this old man with stone hands did it, well, I'd give it a thought! ;)

note: let it be said without any flattery: so far your work is definitely cleaner and more organized than mine, really.

Thank you Paolo, but your Storch is the most detailed and most beautifully finished Storch model I have ever seen and it was a complete conversion with what you did to it. Mine can't even hold a candle to your's detail-wise. I hope I can evolve and become better / more adventurous. Still, I'm having a lot of fun with mine, and that's what this is about. You inspired me to make more of it than originally intended.

Cheers!

Edit: The Silhouette is really a God's gift to this hobby. The sorftware takes a while to master, but start with easy stuff and you'll get the hang of it real quick. Buy Oramask 810 but also Tamiya tape-sheets, they both have their specific uses. You can directly scan into the software and copy almost everything in masks.

Edited by Grunticus

I've made a glass dome from heated clear sprue pushed in to a 2mm drawing template. Looks okay this way.

SA30X6J.jpg

The last bits have been installed inside the cockpit and canopy. Time to close it up and sigh with relief. The chain mechanism is not completely in the correct position, but it was the only way it would fit and give the impression of the real thing, and I'm not prepared to reposition those tiny parts.

EQAyZwt.jpg

rqWJbkf.jpg

The canopy does not fit naturally and the rear base end, it's too narrow. I have rigged it up with elastic bands, one clamp and a toothpick that acts as a lever until things lined up on the left side of the rear canopy, and at the windshield-end. I then applied Tamiya thin cement to the seams, let that to work the styrene for a while and lastly pushed everything firmly together. I will leave that to dry throroughly and then repeat for the right side. A little crazy this way, but it seems to work.

Glued:

41fWPqY.jpg

Not glued (yet):

sTRtBs3.jpg

And pray that the seats won't come loose which one did before.

Cheers!

The other side was done in the same way, but almost no force was needed.

l4QxWfX.jpg

The glazing is now installed completely, but some seams need a bit of work. All in all fit is not bad at all.

LPoQ933.jpg

I thinned the plastic on the inside of the openings on the cowling pan for a more scale-like appearance.

gfGVX5B.jpg?1

42eOp5S.jpg

Most engine parts are painted up and ready for assembly. Looking at photos there are many color variations to be found for the engine area. I just picked one.

OW5Rxjj.jpg

no, only the aperture contour.

the profile of the opening, in the lower part. The Hase outline is not flat enough, or too rounded, as you want.

ref.

pldsat.jpg

Hase a bit modified (sorry for the bad quality of light)

huv1qy.jpg

Hase original (yours)

gl97h3.jpg

Ok, that's a detail, but the front cowl is a remarkable feature of the Storch from my point of view, but it's up to you.

Edited by rafju

5 hours ago, rafju said:

no, only the aperture contour.

the profile of the opening, in the lower part. The Hase outline is not flat enough, or too rounded, as you want.

ref.

pldsat.jpg

Hase a bit modified (sorry for the bad quality of light)

Hase original (yours)

Ok, that's a detail, but the front cowl is a remarkable feature of the Storch from my point of view, but it's up to you.

Rafju, thanks! I had not noticed. I modified it a bit with file and sandpaper, it looks more like the real one now.

MdEqFx3.jpg

Cheers!

There's some very nice work here.  Your enhancements are shaping up well.  I saw one of these fly at Fantasy of Flight in 2012 and quickly shoved my camera in the cockpit and engine areas.  Here's those shots, if they're any help to you.

W0fZJ8.jpg

BtFuNt.jpg

SpJaBd.jpg

1MeAY1.jpg

Sorry one is a bit blurry, but I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Michael