YAK-3 1/32 Special Hobby

mc65

claro que sì!

obviously I'll try until the end and beyond, even if this model is driving me crazy.

in several places you can still see the film, and here and there some silvering, but I got bored of it, so I switched to oil weathering. few and targeted washes, given that since the Yak-3 were mainly made of wood, there are very few paneling lines and rivets here. then dot technique, again in oil.

IMG_8240.jpeg

and exhaust fumes, airbrush oil. a little too much...

IMG_8241.jpeg

better.

IMG_8242.jpeg

silvering around the red line that delimits the walking area, and fuel level indicator... wrong, I'm afraid: there are no indications in this sense, but being right and left mirrored, I imagine that the minimum level was downwards, i.e. towards the wing's trailing edge. obviously I noticed it after placing and gluing everything, backwards.

IMG_8244.jpeg

just as I noticed only by presenting them in position, that I inverted the internal and external colors of the tail wheel doors. but how good!

IMG_8249.jpeg

to establish the correct angle of the trolley legs I made myself some cardboard templates, since the measurements are a bit fluctuating. then I listened to the leg retraction levers and messed up everything. a genius.

IMG_8250.jpeg

overcome by the desire to remove it from before my eyes, I immediately placed the flap boxes

IMG_8256.jpeg

and then the internal parts. it wasn't very simple, perhaps the best technique is to place the boxes in the wing and build the interiors directly in the wing.

IMG_8258.jpeg

Now I have to find a way to eliminate the visible slots between the internal truss and the boxes.

IMG_8279.jpeg

I placed the rear clear part, and mysteriously the glue damaged it. it seems that the plasticard frame, although painted, has lost some of the white on the transparent. oh well, this thing was really born badly.

However, I managed to connect the radio and the antenna connection with a cable, which is not very easy to do, also considering the presence of the armoured glass in the middle.

IMG_8278.jpeg

well (let's say so) one more effort and I'll close this chapter...

cheers, Paolo

Well Paolo, I see that the assembly of this Yak 3 is not a quiet river...
I'm just getting started with my ICM Yak 9 and I'm not claiming victory, but it seems easier to build than yours.
In any case, despite all these trials, I can see that you're on the right way.
I've just found this, but a little late.
It seems to me that the "220" (full) is pointing backwards and the "0" (empty) is pointing forwards.

l8zy.jpg

Thank you all for your interest and encouraging comments!

especially thanks to Denis, it seems that by pure chance I placed the telelevels in the right position. John, the Yahu indicators fit perfectly into the kit's wing holes (unlike the supplied lenses, which would have needed grinding to fit properly). inserting a plasticard disc to make thickness and a transparent styrene disc will be much better than those supplied by the kit.

well, I'd say we call it FINISHED, decent photos needless to say, obviously, for the moment some shots, ugly as usual of the last details added to complete it: on the original flight manual page you can see the reference painted on a blade to align the gunsight. just a simple white cross.

IMG_8368.jpeg

again taking inspiration from the original manual, I improvised the two handles (black) to open the sliding canopy and the one (red) for jettison it in case of emergency.

IMG_8312.jpeg

the mechanical indicators of the extended landing gear...

IMG_8359.jpeg

the thermoformed rear transparent with armored glass and pass-through antenna cable (bad pic, just trust me) :whistle:

IMG_8376.jpeg

the damage on the clear part, fortunately not very visible with the canopy open.

IMG_8378.jpeg

the antenna tensioner, the microbial stencils with the aircraft serial number (present in a dozen units) the position light made as usual, with a "bulb" of heated fishing wire and the glass of UV glue.

IMG_8380.jpeg

view of the belly with the flaps adjusted completely arbitrarily to 30°

IMG_8371.jpeg

and a couple of overviews. I redid all the details which included tubes with brass, aluminum and syringe needles: pitot, machine gun and cannon muzzles, various vents.

IMG_8357.jpeg

IMG_8366.jpeg

and that's it.

I had much less fun than I hoped, but I must say that the basic kit is good, I'm the one who needs to start using my hands and head properly again.

cheers, Paolo

Edited by mc65

Brilliant work on the Yak-3! Despite your problems with it, this is a kit I'd like to get (unless of course, ICM get to it first!). Just as an historical note, Soviet fighters very seldom had the flaps down on the ground. The control surfaces weren't always at neutral, but it does appear that normally the flaps were up. But yours is the exception and there's nothing wrong with that! Beautiful job!

Regards,

Jason