Help or guide for oil paints abteilung 502 and what solvent to use?

Mel

Hello guys, as the title says, I will need the help/guide for 502 oils and their solvent and I turn to you, the artisans of the forum.

This is the first time I will be using these oil paints to age my planes and give them effects.

I bought the Abteilung 502 oils, I also bought other products like the MIG OILBRUSHER and the Ak enamels for effects but I want to focus on the oils.

I wanted to know what solvent they use and what layer to apply them on.

Can I use Tamiya x20 polish to thin them out?

If I can't, what oil enamel solvent will I need? preferably one for non-industrial modeling, personally I see industrial products not intended for modeling as very aggressive for paint, plastic and varnish.

And as for the layers, can I apply them with the gloss varnish flat? (I use Top Coat from Mr Hobby)

In my case I make the planes as follows:

1: Primer
2: Mr Hobby Acrylic Paint
3:glossy varnish
4: Decals and panels (Tamiya Panel Liner)
5:glossy varnish
6: Matte varnish (final step)

In which step will I have to put the oils?

Thin them with AK (or other hobby brands) Odorless Thinner if you want to make a wash, or a panel line wash. Commercial Odorless Thinners also work.

You can use them for weathering like exhaust stains straight from the tube, but it's recommended to put a dollop on cardboard (or paper towel) to absorb the oils in the paint. This makes them easier to work with. Clear coat your model before using them, but regardless, they will not attack any paint system I know of. Some guys do their weathering over satin clear while others over gloss. Once you are finished, clear coat your model. Your choice, but play with them on a scrap mode.

I'm sure you'll get numerous responses, but that's my take on the subject.

5 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

For the oil can I suggest buy Windsor and Newton Sansodor - it's odourless white spirit .

If you are making your own oil washes by thinning down the paint,  a bit of W&N Liquin , which makes the wash a lot smoother . 

5 hours ago, Woody V said:

Thin them with AK (or other hobby brands) Odorless Thinner if you want to make a wash, or a panel line wash. Commercial Odorless Thinners also work.

You can use them for weathering like exhaust stains straight from the tube, but it's recommended to put a dollop on cardboard (or paper towel) to absorb the oils in the paint. This makes them easier to work with. Clear coat your model before using them, but regardless, they will not attack any paint system I know of. Some guys do their weathering over satin clear while others over gloss. Once you are finished, clear coat your model. Your choice, but play with them on a scrap mode.

I'm sure you'll get numerous responses, but that's my take on the subject.

Guys, thank you for your answers, I will sincerely buy and look at the ones that you have advised me. I am also happy to know that you can do the effects with the shiny layer. Now I leave you a couple of links of what I want to do and the products. I thought that They could be diluted with Tamiya enamel thinner.

MInute: 14.00

Product links:

Are these valid?

https://ak-interactive.com/product/odorless-thinner-100-ml/

https://ak-interactive.com/product/fast-dry-thinner/

30 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

Looks like a version of Mike Rinaldi's OPR technique on that video . 

I was unaware of Mike Rinaldi's techniques, in the end the products that I have shown are fine for the oil paints abteilung 502?

On 11/12/2023 at 7:19 PM, quang said:

Don’t waste your money with ‘branded’ thinners. Any drugstore white spirit/turpentine will do. Painter artists used it for centuries.

Guys, Thank you very much for your time and patience, in the end I bought a couple of 502 oil paints, and AK enamels, thanks to those who have posted for the help, I am passing a couple of photos, the f4 is in wip, sorry for the Bad quality of the photos, I don't have a professional camera nor the equipment for it, I took them with my cell phone

The AK enamels work great, and the oilbrushers too, the 502 oil paints have to be mastered a little but they also work great

InV7RQV.jpg

uqLg85g.jpg

Edited by Mel

12 minutes ago, quang said:

Hi @Mel Your pics are fine so are the results of your first try at oil weathering :clap2:

Happy modelling,

Cheers,

Quang

Thank you so much @quang Can you believe this is the first time I've embarked on oil paintings? I started modeling at the age of 6 with my first models (obviously they were all terrible) and over time I rose to a level due to experience and reading and learning especially from other modellers, I made my airplanes very well, (I don't want to sound arrogant ) but he made them clean, without oils, why? Due to ignorance and fear of oils, this f4 phantom in person improves a lot, I based it on photos of real phantoms, I realized that the dirt is more in the center than on the lower sides and on the top they were not so dirty As it seems, after a 10-year break in the hobby for personal reasons, this is literally the first time I have used oil paints and I honestly liked it a lot. It is also worth saying that I have followed other modellers using oil paints, and I have had guides regarding colors. and the results that I liked or wanted to do

IjD9tXG.jpgVIXkGt8.jpg

Edited by Mel

8 minutes ago, quang said:

I always liked the smell of turpentine. It makes me feel a bit like Van Gogh :P

haha, I will also tell you that I need to improve and learn a lot about oil paints and weathering, if you know of any teacher who does it on airplanes, let me know, a YouTube channel, or anything else, I want to learn how to do the lines well. the oil jets, and ultimately make a correct and good weathering

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 3:44 AM, Panzerwomble said:

For the oil can I suggest buy Windsor and Newton Sansodor - it's odourless white spirit .

If you are making your own oil washes by thinning down the paint,  a bit of W&N Liquin , which makes the wash a lot smoother . 

I second the Liquin Original. Note how a bit breaks up the clumps of pigment, resulting a smooth, buttery wash.

Mohawk_103.jpg