A-6A VMA(AW)-224 1972 Coral Sea Cruise: AGM-78 & AGM-45?

I did not look at that for many years but I think A-6A were not wired for Iron Hand missions. Keep in mind there was no multirole naval plane at that time. Moreover, you are referring to a Marines squadron and such missions were clearly out of their scope. So. In one word, I'm convinced the reply is 'NO'.

You can download their command history here (BTW, Texas Tech University has everything you ever want to know about Vietnam, and the archive is very easy to navigate): Vietnam Center and Sam Johnson Vietnam Archive (ttu.edu)

The A-6A could do Iron Hand. The B had better sensors and could carry the AGM-78. There were limited airframes though and they bounced between squadrons. By that time, the A-7Es that were part of CAG-15 were the preferred Iron Hand birds.

I also recommend either "Fast Movers" or "Afterburner" by John Sherwood.  In Fast Movers he has an entire section dedicated to Blinky Sheets and the Bengals during this cruise.

If it was me, I'd be doing their epic mission to mine Haiphong!

HTH

-Peter

According to Mark and Rick Morgan‘s book, the Bengals operated three A-6B‘s and had AGM-78-toting duties during the 1972 combat cruise.

Boy, would be helpful if the Steel Beach conversion where still available.

Anyone have close-up pics of the horizontal stab modifications specific to the A-6B? Can’t make out the exact shape of it from the tailspin topics post. Any additional close-up pics of the A-6B would be much appreciated. I’ll likely generate 3D-printed parts for the modification.

Thx,

Marcel

Wish I could help you more. Rick Morgan (and his brother) have written a bunch about the Intruder/Prowler and at one point Rick had a website with all his glorious pics, including some good info on the various Mods. For the life of me I can't find it now.  I think Tommy's Tailspin topics is the best you'll get.  Don't know how deep you're willing to research to find which BuNos and what A-6B mod they had and when.  Those mods are a mess--at least Tommy spells them out for you, allowing you to make an honest effort.

26 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

Wish I could help you more. Rick Morgan (and his brother) have written a bunch about the Intruder/Prowler and at one point Rick had a website with all his glorious pics, including some good info on the various Mods. For the life of me I can't find it now.  I think Tommy's Tailspin topics is the best you'll get.  Don't know how deep you're willing to research to find which BuNos and what A-6B mod they had and when.  Those mods are a mess--at least Tommy spells them out for you, allowing you to make an honest effort.

Thanks! Looks like I just need the Mod 0 modifications as covered in the Steel Beach set. Biggest headscratcher are the horizontal stab tip mods, the pic on Tailspin doesn’t really show me all I’d like to see…