Short comparison: 1/16 Sdkfz, 251 Das Werk vs Trumpy

LSP_Ray

5 hours ago, ChuckD said:

Dragon used to (maybe still does) print "CONTINENTAU" on the rubber sections of their tanks' road wheels to avoid copyright issues.  If so inclined, the modeler could simply shave off the right vertical line of the "U" and be more or less left with "CONTINENTAL."

Yup, still have some of those kits. A little harder to add an "T" though.

I think I preferred the Das Werk seat.  The pipe frame on the others looks humungous, like something you'd be making bullbar or rock sliders out of.

I reckon it'd be worth using some tapered round beak pliers to hand bend the springs and use stock card for the seat back.  Bend a few so that it'd look so homogenous.

Thanks mate.  Great snapshot.

Matty

13 hours ago, LSP_Matt said:

I think I preferred the Das Werk seat.  The pipe frame on the others looks humungous, like something you'd be making bullbar or rock sliders out of.

I reckon it'd be worth using some tapered round beak pliers to hand bend the springs and use stock card for the seat back.  Bend a few so that it'd look so homogenous.

Thanks mate.  Great snapshot.

Matty

The 251 seats are pretty beefy:

dashl.jpg

To bend the wires, I think you would best try making a form with small but strong pegs in the correct pattern then wind thin wire around them as per the original. Would give you matching and pretty accurate springs.

3 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

To bend the wires, I think you would best try making a form with small but strong pegs in the correct pattern then wind thin wire around them as per the original. Would give you matching and pretty accurate springs.

It's the winding "over and under" that would make me crazy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 4:22 AM, LSP_Ray said:

The 251 seats are pretty beefy:

dashl.jpg

They have to be Ray ... I saw a video review of this vehicle quite a few years back ... where a surviving operator was giving a rundown of the quirks and features (though no Doug Score!). Both driver and signals operators were bumped and banged around a LOT in these things - most drivers preferred the 4, 6 and 8 Rad vehicles. Any photos of the driver wearing anything but a Stahlhelm are a propaganda shoot or opportunist photo also, he reckons ... the propensity to clang your noggin on the surrounding armour was huge and several soldiers suffered some nasty head trauma early on in usage. I think the YouTube vid has been taken down now (my link doesn't work anymore) ... pity!

Rog :)

9 hours ago, Artful69 said:

They have to be Ray ... I saw a video review of this vehicle quite a few years back ... where a surviving operator was giving a rundown of the quirks and features (though no Doug Score!). Both driver and signals operators were bumped and banged around a LOT in these things - most drivers preferred the 4, 6 and 8 Rad vehicles. Any photos of the driver wearing anything but a Stahlhelm are a propaganda shoot or opportunist photo also, he reckons ... the propensity to clang your noggin on the surrounding armour was huge and several soldiers suffered some nasty head trauma early on in usage. I think the YouTube vid has been taken down now (my link doesn't work anymore) ... pity!

Apparently AFV Modeller realized this when they modeled their figure!

DSC_6586.png

Hi all,

FC Model Trend from Spain has some nice updates and conversions, mostly for the Das Werk Sd.Kfz 251!

https://www.fcmodeltrend.com/lp/?idsite=1&idioma=51&criterio=buscador&criterio_id=1%2F16+%2B+Sd.Kfz+251&filtros=&url_action_0=%2Fbuscador%2F&url_action_1=%2Flp%2F&url_action_2=%2Frcms%2F&url_action_3=%2Frcom%2F&tipo_busqueda=1&filtro_texto=1%2F16+%2B+Sd.Kfz+251

I have no experience with this company, but ordered some stuff and will keep you updated!

With regards,

Rob

21 hours ago, Artful69 said:

I can only agree as I rode in one around the owners hilly property. I preferred to act as gunner standing to the right.