Pure nostalgia - Airfix 1/24 Me-109E

tomprobert

Evening folks,

With the summer holidays here, there's been some welcome additional modelling time and this was finished off over the weekend. I was given this by my dad who had in turn been given it by an old family friend - I think it is an original issue, and if not it's a very early issue of this classic kit from Airfix:

Box

I just wanted to build this more or less as it comes and enjoy it. However, I couldn't let the gaping hollow wheel bays pass so made some simple mods by adding plastic card sidewalls and some Evergreen stiffeners to at least make them sort of passable:

53132827798_8d5dd94165_b.jpg

Other than that, I used some Eduard belts for the pilot's seat, Barracuda wheels as the kit's had dried out and cracked when I tried to apply them to the hubs, and some aftermarket decals from Techmod to represent Von Werra's machine who crash-landed not far from me in Marden, Kent - and became 'the one that got away'. Although old and basic by modern standards, this kit is a joy and went together pretty well. Surface detail is sublime and the super-detailer could really have a field day if they were so inclined. I really enjoyed it as nostalgic build from days gone by and that's what it's all about!

DSC_0127

DSC_0128

DSC_0130

DSC_0135

DSC_0137

DSC_0140

DSC_0141

DSC_0143

DSC_0145

Evolution: here is the 109E alongside the G-model: like the Spitfire the basic airframe had huge potential to evolve and did so as the war progressed:

DSC_0147

Paints were all Xtracolor enamels with some weathering using Mig-Ammo pastels. A really enjoyable build - don't overlook these oldies as they scrub up really well!

All the best,

Tom

17 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Evening folks,

With the summer holidays here, there's been some welcome additional modelling time and this was finished off over the weekend. I was given this by my dad who had in turn been given it by an old family friend - I think it is an original issue, and if not it's a very early issue of this classic kit from Airfix:

Box

I just wanted to build this more or less as it comes and enjoy it. However, I couldn't let the gaping hollow wheel bays pass so made some simple mods by adding plastic card sidewalls and some Evergreen stiffeners to at least make them sort of passable:

53132827798_8d5dd94165_b.jpg

Other than that, I used some Eduard belts for the pilot's seat, Barracuda wheels as the kit's had dried out and cracked when I tried to apply them to the hubs, and some aftermarket decals from Techmod to represent Von Werra's machine who crash-landed not far from me in Marden, Kent - and became 'the one that got away'. Although old and basic by modern standards, this kit is a joy and went together pretty well. Surface detail is sublime and the super-detailer could really have a field day if they were so inclined. I really enjoyed it as nostalgic build from days gone by and that's what it's all about!

DSC_0127

DSC_0128

DSC_0130

DSC_0135

DSC_0137

DSC_0140

DSC_0141

DSC_0143

DSC_0145

Evolution: here is the 109E alongside the G-model: like the Spitfire the basic airframe had huge potential to evolve and did so as the war progressed:

DSC_0147

Paints were all Xtracolor enamels with some weathering using Mig-Ammo pastels. A really enjoyable build - don't overlook these oldies as they scrub up really well!

All the best,

Tom

Stunning take on this old kit Tom - Love the subtle weathering and yes totally agree the old kits can be great fun to build / and include your own improvements, also cheaper and a refreshing change from hundreds of parts and tens of sprues.

Rgds Jon

Well done!! An excellent build with a superb finish.

I agree with you on the old 1/24 Airfix kits. With care and some extra work they build into very impressive models. 

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

• 1 month later...

Great Work Tom. I just purchased this kit last weekend (one of the new release Vintage Classics versions) and started to crack into it. Great to see it build up so well. I don't know why but these older kits are just so much fun to build over the newer ones.