Hasegawa F-86F-40 "Blue Impulse" Finished

Ayovan

5 hours ago, Alex said:

Your Sabre is looking great so far!  In my experience at least, hot tap water isn't hot enough to re-form polystyrene.  I would suggest (while wearing latex gloves) grabbing the warped piece with with tongs and dipping it into a pot of actually boiling water.  You should find it soft enough to re-form after a few seconds of that.

Thanks Alex, I'll give it a try. 

I found the wing panels online before trying to straighten them out (just in case). Dipping in boiling water did soften the plastic. Too much. Did all kinds of funky stuff to the leading edge slats. I have 3 more Hasegawa F-86 kits. I'll just rob the one panel I tried from another kit for now and put the replacement back into that kit when it arrives. 

Thanks Alex, it was worth a try.

Edit: I ended up using a blow drier on the other wing panels to flaten them out. Much more control over how much heat and where to apply it. 7MUFEk.jpg

Edited by Ayovan

I got the wings glued together and then  put some lead in the nose. About 2 ounces ( 55 grams). Might be a little more than it needs but it will definitely not sit on it's tail. Since I brain farted on putting the weight in before closing the front half of the fuselage up, I had to go to plan B. I mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and 2 ounces of #2 bird shot and poured it into the  fuslage  from the rear and let it run down into the nose. It was an easy fix, but would have been even easier if I had put the weight in BEFORE closing up the fuselage. Hopefully that's a  lesson learned. Next will be matching the wings up to the fuselage. I think I'll need to mate the rear fuselage to the front first then attach the wings.

cEjjCb.jpg

Edited by Ayovan

• 2 weeks later...

I had to take a few days off from modeling due to an eye infection. I suspect I got it from one of my rug rat grandkids :lol: Gotta love em...

Anyway I got back to this thing, trying to get it finished up. Wheel wells, and speed brake wells are now painted, along with a couple of hinomaru on the fuselage, and the turbine stripe. I also got the main gear assembled and ready for install. I had a hiccup on the left aileron and am in the process of repainting it. A little self inflicted PITA.

4auwrq.jpg

xnBFXs.jpg

RvLH0x.jpg

So I have decals for the tail codes and the modex on the nose, but they are ancient. They'll probably fall apart once they hit water. I was thinking I could clear coat  before I try to use them. Never done it before.

Is there a particular clear you guys would recommend?

I realize it should be lacquer product. Would MRP clear work? 

My other option would be to make stencils