Bf 109K-4 'pit

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

Still a bit confused on the 109K-4 part...is that what you're trying to get to or just going with what the part says on the package?  If the latter is the goal, that Barracudacast part you posted is for any Eduard 109G-2 through K-4 so it if you're not dead set on a K-4, you could build an Eduard 109G-10 with it or any Eduard kit G-2 through G-10 (at this time).

Right, but it's really a specific K-4 scheme that I'm after. I may just snatch the Italeri kit and give it a go, or a more or less OOB Hasegawa kit, of which I already have a spare.

13 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Judy doesn't have the 1/32 cockpits either. :(

Aires has a K pit for the Hasegawa kit ...

https://spruebrothers.com/ars4248-1-48-aires-bf109k-4-bf-109k-4-cockpit-set-has-kit-4248/

Yep, I was aware of that set, Mike. Problem is, it uses P.E. belts, which I despise, whereas the Barracuda set has the belts beautifully molded in already.

19 hours ago, tucohoward said:

Another option to avoid PE belts would be a Quinta set. Maybe not as nice as HGW but a lot easier to use, especially in 1/48. The 1/48 109 sets are $12.25 at Hobbynut and you get the IP and other stuff as well. I use and like them a lot.

Jay

Quintas belts have little / no ability to be positioned in any shape other than completely straight, which to me just looks fake.   My preference is always for good quality resin seats with the belts cast in (Barracuda) but the second option is going with annealed PE belts.   They can usually be draped into convincing positions. 

To add to John's point, I've also read that Quinta belts will break if you try and position them in any way other than straight or slightly curved at a maximum.  I prefer fabric belts with PE buckles (HGW, etc.).  They're more fiddley than painting cast belts but have the advantage you can pose them almost any way you want.

Edited by Juggernut

I definitely prefer fabric and/or paper (HGW, RB Productions) in 1/32 scale but we are talking about 1/48 scale here and I think that's a different discussion. I have used HGW in 1/48 and if you think their 1/32 belts are fiddly try 1/48. Definitely worth the effort in larger scales but 1/48 and smaller I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. I have been building quite a bit of 1/48 stuff lately and the belts are so much less prominent than they are in our scale. I have used a number of Quinta sets in 1/48 scale and found them to be pretty flexible and definitely easier than PE to position. At least enough flex to be able to position them differently in a two-seater like an F-14 where most of the time, if you get AM seats with molded belts, they are identical which I don't care for. 

Jay

I just receive my first ever Quinta set yesterday, for the Tamiya 1:48 Ki-61, I'm not home so have a question. Do they just stick on, or do they need to be glued on? If stuck on, do they last, or fall off after a time?

2 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I just receive my first ever Quinta set yesterday, for the Tamiya 1:48 Ki-61, I'm not home so have a question. Do they just stick on, or do they need to be glued on? If stuck on, do they last, or fall off after a time?

I use standard white glue and have never had any issues.  

On 6/24/2023 at 7:17 PM, John1 said:

I use standard white glue and have never had any issues.  

Well I just used the set on my 1:48 Ki-61, and all went well. Really warm (bordering on hot) water seemed to help some with the pliability issue, but I still managed to break the oxygen hose. Since I had already assembled and pained the 'pit, there were a few pieces of the set that I didn't use, as they were direct replacements for parts that were already glued in place. All things considered though, I like it a lot and will definitely be buying more of their stuff.

EbYBG6.jpg