F4U-2 Corsair Conversion

denders

9 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

I think the best thing to do if you want the "skinny" on the -5 is to go to Tail Hook Topics, The last of the propeller -pulled Corsairs F4U-5/ AU-1/ F4U-7. there he goes into the differences with drawings. Like was said above , 'tis a different animal but still a Corsair . This most probably would need a separate thread TBH.

I'm a fan of Tail Hook Topics already, but I can't seem to fins that article. Can you provide a link?

3 hours ago, BiggTim said:

That helped, thanks! I found it.

You'll find when you start getting into it that there was a lot of changes made between the -4 and -5. I think In read somewhere like 58 different things were changed . Now not all of them will be visible in a model though. And I might add there was a "kink " in the fuselage about half way between the engine and the cockpit . it's  noticible if you look down the fuselage , you can just see it. There was big dust up with the Hasegawa 1/48th -5 , said it was a flaw , I'm not so sure about that as the real ones have it. Actually it's a pretty nice kit[ I know it's 1/48th]. You might use one of those for a pattern?

11 minutes ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

You'll find when you start getting into it that there was a lot of changes made between the -4 and -5. I think In read somewhere like 58 different things were changed . Now not all of them will be visible in a model though. And I might add there was a "kink " in the fuselage about half way between the engine and the cockpit . it's  noticible if you look down the fuselage , you can just see it. There was big dust up with the Hasegawa 1/48th -5 , said it was a flaw , I'm not so sure about that as the real ones have it. Actually it's a pretty nice kit[ I know it's 1/48th]. You might use one of those for a pattern?

I considered that. I just don't really want to fork out for one when I'm not sure if that idea is even something I can do. I'll stick to photos and drawings, for the moment. It's definitely becoming more clear why they used the Trumpeter -4 kit for the earlier conversion. I'm not even sure if the Tamiya kit could be modified that much. 

19 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

I considered that. I just don't really want to fork out for one when I'm not sure if that idea is even something I can do. I'll stick to photos and drawings, for the moment. It's definitely becoming more clear why they used the Trumpeter -4 kit for the earlier conversion. I'm not even sure if the Tamiya kit could be modified that much. 

Using the Tamiya kit would be a tremendous amount of work . Using the Trumpeter kit would get you closer for starting point. It would still be a lot of work. I've got a kind of soft spot[besides the one on my head] for the -5 as I got to do a little work on one . There's not too many about anymore so when the chance came up ,I jumped on it, it is a beast!  

Some minor progress on these: 

I borrowed an original AMS -5N conversion set for the Trumpy -4 kit (and a -2 set for the Tamiya) from LSP_Ray so I could assess what was in them and make copies to work from. I also bought the -4 kit itself to verify fit of parts. 

The -2 set for the Tamiya kit should be done in a few weeks or so and ready to cast. 

The -5N set for the Trumpy is going to take a lot longer. I have to 3D print a few bits to get the best possible shape. The best news on this front is that I found a fellow named Jumpei Temma online who has already modeled many of the parts I need to spruce up, and is sharing his files. I've made contact with him and will be using his top-notch research and excellent 3D files to save a lot of time and effort. I've invited him to come check out this thread as well, so let's hope he does.

Tim

11 hours ago, BiggTim said:

I borrowed an original AMS -5N conversion set for the Trumpy -4 kit (and a -2 set for the Tamiya) from LSP_Ray so I could assess what was in them and make copies to work from. I also bought the -4 kit itself to verify fit of parts. 

The -2 set for the Tamiya kit should be done in a few weeks or so and ready to cast. 

The -5N set for the Trumpy is going to take a lot longer. I have to 3D print a few bits to get the best possible shape. The best news on this front is that I found a fellow named Jumpei Temma online who has already modeled many of the parts I need to spruce up, and is sharing his files. I've made contact with him and will be using his top-notch research and excellent 3D files to save a lot of time and effort. I've invited him to come check out this thread as well, so let's hope he does.

Tim

Man! If you can possibly pull this off, i'll have to practice my cart wheels cuz ' I'll be doing them around the block[ that oughta be a sight]. Jumpei Temma knows he's stuff a good person to have on your side for this project , get it on ,brother!

9 hours ago, Steve Eagle said:

Tim, I think I would be interested in a conversion if you can pull it off. The -5 has been a wish forever with me. Back in the stone ages, I tried to convert the Revell -1a kit. It didn’t look too bad- if you closed both eyes:unsure::lol:  

Keep an eye on this thread, Steve. I will post progress here. I feel pretty safe in saying that re-mastering the -5N set for the Trumpy kit should be doable with all the great groundwork that Harold and Karl laid, plus the new resources from Jumpei. 

On 6/29/2023 at 8:30 AM, BiggTim said:

Tim

Great news Tim, Ray is a good person to correspond with on special projects.

I also have the set here and the windscreen is the part requiring the most attention. 

Also luckily the Trumpeter -4 is still pretty available for a decent price. Anyone interested in this conversion should grab the kit now...

Edited by phasephantomphixer

10 minutes ago, phasephantomphixer said:

I also have the set here and the windscreen is the part requiring the most attention. 

Yes, it is a tough one. Jumpei just sent me a new 3D model of the windscreen, so I might be able to print that and then cast it in clear resin; if that doesn't work, I could print a blank and vac it. But that's pretty down the list at the moment.