1/32nd scale Lancaster B.Mk.III Dambusters kit from Border model on approach....

Trak-Tor

Yep, me too. Been perusing the Border kit, contemplating a conversion to a 464. My initial thought was to build a very early Lanc with the belly turret, but recently I aquired a relic from Barlow's ED927  AJ-E. That kinda put me on a 464 track. And today didn't help my resistance. Sooooo........am leaning towards getting the new kit, as in needing a crutch to stay upright. And keeping the original kit as intended, an early Lanc with a belly turret. 

Display space??? to be figured out later. My blinders are on at the moment.

( and don't even THINK of mentioning a Manchester....got WAY too much on right now)

Edited by europapete
added text

Hi all,

A good solution may be to offer a Dam Buster add on set with the parts trees, decals and instruction for building one.   Make the offer so that  those who bought the original kit can build a DB, and promote the sale to those holding off waiting for theDB.  Would help all parts of the the distribution chain from wholesalers to retailers to modeler end users.

Just my 2 cents

Sorry Gary but I do not get how such a strategy may be more profitable for them. If they simply release a new full kit, the people who waited will get it and some who got the first kit but absolutely want a Border-based Dambusters Lanc will buy a second model while keeping or possibly reselling the normal bomber. A minority will only stay with the original kit because they already spent a hefty sum for that one and don't have room for two. In all cases they will sell more plastic if they release another full one. We may like it or not but they have to cover their investment and what may be desirable for a fraction of customers is rarely compatible with the business strategy.

I have been waiting for this version actually, so not shocked at all. So, I am in for one. I also have the Bremont commemorative watch and books about the raid. It is a legendary operation (although the effectivity of course has been disputed). Now if only Peter Jackson could make the movie...

1 hour ago, Tim said:

It is a legendary operation (although the effectivity of course has been disputed). 

This is true, but it must be remembered that a war, a battle is the sum of all its parts.

German industry in the Ruhr recoved fairly quickly, and the strategic value of the attack wasn't probably as great as originally hoped for.

This is the thing though - during an extremely dark time for Britain; when up to this point things weren't going too well; this was such an important boost for the people's morale.

The propaganda value of this amazingly heroic, technically difficult precision raid was enormous; grabbing the people's imagination, helping to galvanise Britain's resolve. I know, my parents told me.

I have been lucky enough to have clambered all over the BBMF Lanc and 'Just Jane', I have stood on the Möhne and Eder dams. The overwhelming sense of the enormous skill, execution and sheer balls of this  extraordinary raid was indescribable.

These young men from all over the globe did something unimaginable that night, Gibson ran the show aged 24!

Legend. 

I might be talking myself into getting one. :doh:

Thanks CharmyDown, this is exactly what it achieved: hope and boosting the morale. The fact that the group dared to undertake this is incredible. And yes, Gibson age 24 at the time. I collect all sorts of bits about this particular raid, but there are many more (Doolittle Raid anyone?).

Looking forward seeing the kit