Hasegawa Fw-190A5. Definitely an A5.

Gazzas

11 hours ago, Woody V said:

Yes, another great Hasegawa 190 in the works thanks to your modeling skills and patience. Outstanding save on those gun trough rivets! 

Thank you Woody.  Now is the most nerve wracking time.  Getting the paint right for weathering.  I’m going to do some hairspray chipping.  And I don’t have much experience with it.

19 hours ago, Antonio Argudo said:

very nice Gazzas, this gets very interesting right now, enjoy the paint and weathering phase mate! cheers

Thank you, Antonio!

11 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I’m going to do some hairspray chipping.  And I don’t have much experience with it.

Good luck, it's a hit or miss situation in my experience especially using lacquers. I'd strongly suggest doing some experiments on scrap plastic. 
This might help if you missed it:

22 hours ago, Woody V said:

Good luck, it's a hit or miss situation in my experience especially using lacquers. I'd strongly suggest doing some experiments on scrap plastic. 
This might help if you missed it:

I have done it on an armor build.  After the first fail, I learned that you get better results with thin coats of paint.  But an armor model doesn't have to be as clean as an aircraft model...   so you can imagine my apprehension. 

The paint I'm using will be SMS paints which are some kind of funky acrylic.  They don't mix with other acrylic paints...  So, I don;t know how 'acrylic' they are.

12 hours ago, Volksjager said:

Never bothered to try chipping with SMS, being acrylic lacquers they are pretty tough.

I used masking solution to create my chipping, might something to try as well 

I'll try on something else, first.  Plenty of old models to be Guinea pigs.

Very nice work, Gaz!  I really like the black look with all of the rivets but they are hard to see in the after paint photos.  Good luck with the hairspray chipping... I'm still hit or miss with that technique.

15 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Very nice work, Gaz!  I really like the black look with all of the rivets but they are hard to see in the after paint photos.  Good luck with the hairspray chipping... I'm still hit or miss with that technique.

Thank you, John.  The idea is to only show some of the rivets.  Mostly in areas of heavy wear.  Many will disappear during the painting process. 

On 7/14/2023 at 4:23 AM, Gazzas said:

Thank you, John.  The idea is to only show some of the rivets.  Mostly in areas of heavy wear.  Many will disappear during the painting process. 

I've found that if you polish (for lack of a better term) the paint with a cotton cloth the rivets will show as a very subtle surface texture. Just a thought.

18 hours ago, Woody V said:

I've found that if you polish (for lack of a better term) the paint with a cotton cloth the rivets will show as a very subtle surface texture. Just a thought.

That's an idea, Woody.  One of my current methods is to sand all of the painted surfaces.  Not only does it smooth everything out, it gets rid of 1/1 overspray and seems to unify the paint.  But with these rivets, I'm having second thoughts.

That looks good in greens!

What's with the wing crosses? Looks like they masked off the entire cross and left the inside the original colours? (guessing those greens were not a factory option?)

Not entirely sure of the light/contrast looking mottle(?) on the dark green, could be the light exaggerating too. But judging by your previous work I'm sure you've thought about it all and I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment!

Jeroen

4 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

That looks good in greens!

What's with the wing crosses? Looks like they masked off the entire cross and left the inside the original colours? (guessing those greens were not a factory option?)

Not entirely sure of the light/contrast looking mottle(?) on the dark green, could be the light exaggerating too. But judging by your previous work I'm sure you've thought about it all and I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment!

Jeroen

Thank you, Jeroen.

The greens are supposed to be Soviet greens.  But they are mixed from other paints I have to formulas I don't try to remember.  The mottled patterns on top will hopefully disappear as I weather the model.  It's my answer to pre-shading and avoiding the plaid look.

Update time,

For the few days, I haven't accomplished much.  Today I took on the risky task of exposing and highlighting the rivets by wet sanding.  In some places the sanding went perfectly.  Just showing tiny pinpricks of lighter color like on the underside of the cowling.

IMG_2319.thumb.JPG.2daea17dfccd30a49b9818019522b7e8.JPG

And on this wingtip.

IMG_2315.thumb.JPG.d1e2dc8330462a342c2bbf8943606f7d.JPG

They look brighter here than they do in person.

Unfortunately, despite clear coats and a few days time to solidify, the hairspray was reactivated during the wet sanding process, exposing more of the RLM 74 and 75.  Not sure whether I'll 'fix' it or not.

IMG_2316.thumb.JPG.b3dc4abc359914a33d2d616ad12c0046.JPG

I don't really like the texture that using hairspray leaves behind.

The panel below looks nice and beat up.  I'm wishing I had taken some time to make it look even worse by adding some dimples here and there.  A pinwash and some variation to the chipped metal areas with make it look a bit better.

IMG_2318.thumb.JPG.60021b60cad26dd241ce782ad2a8b576.JPG

Cowling ahead of the MG's also suffered from the hairspray problem.  Again...  not sure whether I'll rectify it, or blame it on poor quality Soviet paint.  The proletariat perhaps drank the solvents.

IMG_2320.thumb.JPG.0fde5be62985ae342bd02379ea068f7e.JPG

Because of the rivet decals I cannot just strip the model.  Otherwise I might be tempted. 

A pinwash followed by some paintbrush chipping is next.

Been lazy lately.  Spending too much time in front of the TV.

Thanks for looking!  I appreciate the motivating comments.