Bf 109 G-2 of Johannes "Macky" Steinhoff - REVELL - 1/32

Furie

If it's this hole, then it's there because I had to drill the radiator to insert and glue the drain itself.

You can't see it because it's partly hidden by the glue. ;)

Denis, gruyere maker on Bf 109.

Edited by Furie

Hi Denis

Nice work..

A little observation... at the join between the main part of the wing and the wing tips (your riveting post, 6th image), Revell have made a raised area. This is a rather overdone attempt at reproducing the tape that was applied with dope to cover that joint.  You could sand it right down and just apply some decal over it or leave it as is.  What you don't really want is rivets, as the tape covered these over...

Matt

Edited by mattlow

Thank you very much for these precisions mattlow.
The pictures of the underside of the planes are quite difficult to find and that's quite normal.
Indeed this detail had escaped me, I will try to remedy it, it should not pose too many problems.

This afternoon, I had a hard time with the Revell elevators: they couldn't find anything better than to put huge dots on the elevators to represent...
...well I don't know ! 

:BANGHEAD2:

I can understand that the manufacturer forgets something on a model, but then to add things that do not exist (like what you pointed out to me), it's beyond comprehension!

Tomorrow I'll finish the curvature and radiator flaps, the fixed and movable elevators, next week I'll start again the engraving of the fuselage and the engraving of the rivets on the fuselage.

I received the engraving sets for the round, oval and rectangular hatches from Tamiya. 
The quality is there, I just have to know how to use them, but I'm here to learn.
Pictures of the material to follow tomorrow.

As I had (and will have) a lot of little problems with the construction of my 109, I had no other choice than to order some material to scrib my model.
To scrib the round, oval and rectangular plates it was Tamiya or Eduard.

deww.jpg

Knowing the quality of Tamiya I ordered the 3 sets and I'm not disappointed because the set seems to be very good.
I also took a small saw from Hauler to trace the structure lines at the junction of the two ½ fuselages as well as for the wings.

I realized that doing this work with a simple drypoint/needle would be difficult.
And then the famous Tamiya putty and another one I saw the implementation on a YT tutorial.
That's enough to keep me busy for the next few days to finalize the wing/fuselage/horizontal tail assembly.
And I just have to buy my airbrush, the H&S Infinity is holding the inside track for the moment.

Et maintenant, au boulot !  ;)

Edited by Furie

47 minutes ago, Furie said:

As I had (and will have) a lot of little problems with the construction of my 109, I had no other choice than to order some material to etch* my model.
To etch* the round, oval and rectangular plates it was Tamiya or Eduard.

deww.jpg

Knowing the quality of Tamiya I ordered the 3 sets and I'm not disappointed because the set seems to be very good.
I also took a small saw from Hauler to trace the structure lines at the junction of the two ½ fuselages as well as for the wings.

I realized that doing this work with a simple drypoint/needle would be difficult.
And then the famous Tamiya putty and another one I saw the implementation on a YT tutorial.
That's enough to keep me busy for the next few days to finalize the wing/fuselage/horizontal tail assembly.
And I just have to buy my airbrush, the H&S Infinity is holding the inside track for the moment.

Et maintenant, au boulot !  ;)

*Etch (burn, engrave) : I don't know if I used the right verb in English, sorry. Don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong.

Scribing is better. ;)

11 hours ago, Furie said:

This afternoon, I had a hard time with the Revell elevators: they couldn't find anything better than to put huge dots on the elevators to represent...
...well I don't know ! 

They are meant to represent additional fabric doped over drainage holes in the elevators and ailerons. Like the wing tip tapes, these are rather overenthusiastically depicted...  You can either remove them (not east given all the other detail there), replace the parts (Alleycat and Barracuda) or ignore them (least easy option :))

Matt

2 minutes ago, mattlow said:

They are meant to represent additional fabric doped over drainage holes in the elevators and ailerons. Like the wing tip tapes, these are rather overenthusiastically depicted...  You can either remove them (not east given all the other detail there), replace the parts (Alleycat and Barracuda) or ignore them (least easy option :))

Matt

I removed almost everything with the blade of my scalpel and sanded with 5000, there is only a tiny trace of these pies left.

Thanks, Denis. I have tons of scribing templates as it happens (you can't have too many!), but was unaware that Tamiya had also produced some. I'll wait to see what you think once you've used them, before deciding to get any myself.

Kev

6 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I'll wait to see what you think once you've used them, before deciding to get any myself.

My opinion after using them should be something like this, but it has nothing to do with the quality of Tamiya products!

haddock-mecontent.jpg?w=736&h=1113&ssl=1