Anyone planning fixes for the Takom AH-64 kits?

Dave Williams

I’d suggest they may have “inspired” by Simone’s work.  Would be nice if they sold those new sprues separately, so people can upgrade their existing kits with the new parts.  However, this cockpit seems to be for the E model, not the D, as it has the E type helmet sensors (small single can on an arm next to the left gasper, instead of the pair of larger rectangular sensors on both sides).

You can see Simone’s stuff on the previous page of this thread.  Kind of makes you wonder why they didn’t do the new parts when the kits first came out.

Edited by Dave Williams

17 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I’d suggest they may have “inspired” by Simone’s work.

Completely agree. I've got his slew of stuff, and these new parts appear, at least by the CAD, to be a direct copy of the upgrades he provides.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

One more comment on the new D kit - it doesn’t appear to have the CMWS control box that was mounted on the right side pilot’s glare shield (along with a smaller glare screen).   This controller would have been present on every combat deployed D model by the mid-2000’s.    A very nice aftermarket 3D printed controller is available though.  

Edited by John1

I guess that the release of the Meng kit as well as the announced Academy one put some pressure on Takom's shoulders. Moreover, all reviews stressed such stupid cockpit errors and the release of the 3d printed parts hit again the same nail...:oops:

BTW it would be nice seeing them doing a review of their instruction sheets as well... <_<

On 8/18/2023 at 1:39 PM, John1 said:

Simone, any update on that MUMT-x rotor hub antenna you said you were going to do?  

As soon as I have finished the pylons and the 122 gallon tanks I will work on them together with other things.

On 8/17/2023 at 4:30 PM, Dennis7423 said:

Looks like Takom is releasing a "AH-64D Block II Late Version" boxing that includes some of the corrections Simone has created. Perhaps they are listening?

367725905_735055525090901_3209969770945493052_n

Couple nice crew members, too.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

There is a bit of confusion in this kit. Basically, this Apache does not exist. 1) the helmet sensors are those of the AH-64E

2) the pilots' helmet is the one used on the AH-64E (with the new sensors)

3) the ELT side panel of the CPG is the first generation one, but being the parts connected with the rest that are of the AH-64E it is not usable, but above all it is wrong in size and shape, I know you can easily see the M4 mount and the rifle.

4) pilots, in addition to the helmet error, are represented in the standard Singapore configuration.

5) there are CMWS sensors but the panel on the pilot's dashboard is missing. Only the AH-64E are devoid of them, as they are integrated into the instrumentation.

6) basically, using the second generation ELT panel( which is used on the AH-64E) and the new main rotor blades, this is an E. Some antennas should be added.

6) if you want to make an AH-64D Block 2 early, you need to correct what I wrote above, otherwise we will have a fancy Apache. The important thing is to be aware of it.

In this photo you can see the correct proportions between instrumentation, air vents, ELT panel and M4

https://flic.kr/p/2oVHT1G

Edited by SimPlai
Edit text

• 4 months later...