F-35 Colors

Uncarina

On 1/7/2023 at 3:18 PM, BloorwestSiR said:

You can thin TruColor with Mr Color Leveling thinner. That's what I've used and not had any issues. I go with a 50/50 ratio. 

Here's my CT-133 done using their Metallic Silver. 

IMG_20200713_160637-L.jpg

It holds up very well to masking as well. I didn't use a primer under the silver. 

IMG_20190807_015721-L.jpg

This is their Hemi Orange on my Stratos. Still need to finish this one. 

PXL_20210124_173719231-L.jpg

The finish once dry is very bombproof. 

Is TruColor an enamel or a lacquer?   How long does it take to cure?

On 1/7/2023 at 8:49 AM, ScottsGT said:

I will add my .02 cents opinion as a former paint and bodyman.   Spraying a clear with a Pearl or metallic to give the proper effect is going to be very hard with an airbrush that shoots a round pattern.  I have a Grex with the fan attachment that I plan on trying.  Even a cheap detail gun from Harbor Freight might be an option.  

Can I ask why a round pattern won't work but a flat one will?Just curious.

v/r,

Rob

Didn’t say it won’t work, just very difficult.  If you’re not careful you could end up with “tiger striping” with the pearls/metallics.  They will build up in a concentrated area where as a fan pattern will spread them out and look more even especially using a 50% overlap.  Things will smooth out better if you spray light patterns in different directions.  Go horizontally, vertically and the at a 45 degree direction lightly building up. 
Also use something like Endust on a rag the wipe down the model to reduce static. I’ve seen bad static cause blotches in metallic paints on cars. We use to wrap a chain around the axle of cars to ground it to reduce the chances. 

I now have all four different FS36170 paints I've ordered/mixed from Hataka, Mr Color (1:1 Gloss Engine Gray and Super Metallic 2 Stainless), SMS, and Tru-Color:

9oMxxnU.jpg

My comparison is necessarily subjective, since I don't have a reference chip (and never mind about scale effect). However, my metrics are gut feel, reflectivity, color, and shade. First a comparison of color/shade:

bCLB6IP.jpg

The SMS and Mr Color mix are most similar in color, with SMS slightly lighter in shade. These two appear the most aligned with the color/shade I've seen from aircraft photos, and of these my gut feel is to go with the SMS and perhaps use the Mr Color mix for panel variation. The Hataka mix, despite being recommended in the forum article I cited in the first post, appears more silver than gray, and the Tru-Color version appears too dark. I next compare reflectivity, and again am using aircraft photos in various light for comparison:

NryZR2i.jpg

From most to least reflective the order is Hataka, Mr Color mix, SMS, and Tru-Color. From the photos I've seen again SMS seems most aligned followed by the Mr Color mix. In case you were wondering why I don't include MRP in the comparison, it's out of stock everywhere I've looked outside of Europe. However, my itch to find a paint I am happy to use is satisfied! Hope this helps, your mileage may vary.

Cheers,  Tom

• 10 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but what color are people using in addition to the FS36170 on their F-35 models?  I’m referring to the recent paint jobs, not the early ones that where the raised ram tape on the upper fuselage clearly appeared to be a lighter color.  Currently, the ram tape seems to be about the same color as the fuselage, but some areas like the radome, edges of the wings and tails, intake lips, and some fuselage panels seem to be a slightly different shade of gray.  It’s still a dark gray, but slightly different.  The Tamiya instructions have mixtures for their LP line of paints, but since I don’t use them, I have no idea what their mixed colors are supposed to look like.

Not really looking for what brand, or to get into who makes the best or most accurate FS36170.  It’s the other gray colors in addition to 36170 that people use for the exterior.  TIA.

I just finished my A model splinter scheme.  I used the MRP paint with their Pearl coating to replicate the have glass.  From all of my reading, the RAM tape is just painted with the 36170 but no “Pearl” finish over it.  At different angles it appears a different color because of light refraction.  

BTW, when spraying the MRP, IT COMES OUT BROWN! Eek!  But turns gray as you build up coats and it cures. 

MXjHmF.jpg

W1KfBK.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention the Pearl top coat is just on the bottom and around the canopy. 

Edited by ScottsGT