Compton Abbas and Aero Legends

mozart

There's an attractive small airfield near me, just over 5 miles, situated a'top a hill overlooking most of Dorset, it's called Compton Abbas.  Until recently you've been able to book flights in a Chipmunk, Harvard, Tiger Moth or Stearman but the company that ran this operation pulled out this autumn, which I thought rather sad.  However my joy returned 100 fold when young Tim Perry (aka wunwinglow) bright this to my attention:

YcUAum.jpg

Guy Ritchie lives locally, makes a fine pint of beer called Moonlore, and has now done this amazing thing with Aero Legends, previously only operating out of the south east of England:

xCp0DL.jpg

My 75th year on this earth could be a remarkable one, flying the Hurricane in May and the strong possibility of a Spitfire over my own house!  The thought of hearing Merlin engines in our skies delights me, wonderful!  Happy New Year!

I was a bit concerned that Guy Ritchie's purchase of Compton Abbas might not be a good thing: back in the day he and Madonna (IIRC) had petitioned for rights of way through their land to be removed. I also understood that there had been protests about noise.

I shall still believe it when I see it. Having had the privilege of flying aboard DH.82 G-ADXT from the airfield prior to its tragic loss, I have a strong interest in all things CA. 

:rofl::rofl::rofl:  I have a REALLY REMOTE  link to their wedding. When I was working at Inskip ( the local RI Bentley Dealer back then, although they no longer sell them) I serviced the car of the guy who owns the Scottish Castle where they were married. He also has a home (mansion) over here in Newport. Had to pick up and deliver the car  there quite a few times. I heard through the grapevine that Madonna got married at his Castle, didn't know who to until now. 

Edited by europapete