Border Models Lancaster Clears

Robthepom

Hello Ali

I have just read your post on Brit modeller, if you can produce a set of clears for the Lancaster to the same quality as the EE Lightning ones you sent me, Id be in for a set

rob

Thanks Rob as you know these IF THEY happen will not be a definite or a quick fix….

for those that have not seen my post on Britmodeller here is my response to guys asking for a set of clear parts, one chap has promised me his set once and if he gets a replacement set from Hannants, but as I said there it is up to guys for response and longer term commitment, it will be a tough project and will take time and it will NOT BE a low budget fix for you modellers.

Let me do a quick explanation. £600.00 is a lot for me to pay out on a kit that I would probably never build. I would need to buy the kit, fix up that canopies and then sell everything off, which could work, but the gamble is fairly high. Also the time just to develop better parts would be quite a bit, and then if Border does fix the problem then where am I, having done all the work. 
Flow lines are even a problem in my clear casting, but as a general rule are no where near as apparent as in many kit canopies. As far as some of the other failures, like the lines you guys are discussing through the clear I should be able to eradicate those as well as the orange peel effect.

I agree with Simon though the canopies WILL ALMOST definitely not be changed or upgraded, OTHER than where they are actually broken I recon in time you will get replacements but the quality will be the same.

So plan B, IF between a few of you or at least one person is prepared to send me a set of canopies, these can be ones that have cracks in them, but not in pieces, I can then see how I can repair to take sub masters from them and then to start working up a set of replacements.

I do not even know the sizes and shapes of all the parts exactly, but am hoping that between 2 or 3 of you we would get a full set of SPARE canopy parts I could work with, once you have received second sets etc.

THE NEXT BIG THING, just remember that a full set of clear cast resin parts will probably start setting you back in the region of possibly £40-£50.00 PLUS SHIPPING (pure guess / estimation) BUT how many of you would be prepared to pay that?

I shall leave this with you guys, come back with your thoughts and ideas, I am quite happy if you want to repost or discuss this on other modelling forums, to start the ball rolling, as Jason says if there is enough requests and commitment, I am more likely to look at these options.

I still reserve the right to pull out once I see the parts or the project becomes to problematic.

Could somebody post up a picture or two of the complete clear sprue / sprues layout so I can see shapes and sizes.

Believe you me clear takes a HUGE amount of work to get the master right and working moulds, material costs are 5X higher that standard resin and silicone, and the failure rates are often around 50%, added to all of that there is an electrical bill for post curing the resin in an oven. General turn around time from pouring resin to removing from mould is 6-7 hours, and then the part could be a failure…….

thread link https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235044133-132-avro-lancaster-bmkiiii-by-border-model-ex-wingnut-wings-released/page/35/#comments

Edited by Ali62
Added link

Ali, I agree with you however would also say that should you actually consider it, I would recommend to look at the 2 or 3 main clear parts that really need to be done and leave the rest to the kit parts which are largely acceptable in most cases and won't be an issue on the completed model. Again, decision is respected and appreciated. 

8 hours ago, DrewH said:

Ali, I agree with you however would also say that should you actually consider it, I would recommend to look at the 2 or 3 main clear parts that really need to be done and leave the rest to the kit parts which are largely acceptable in most cases and won't be an issue on the completed model. Again, decision is respected and appreciated. 

At this point in time, it looks like I may attempt to having a look, I am waiting on 2 guys to see if they will send me their ‘Second’ set of parts when they get replacements, so the next few weeks will decide. I may very well look at a brass/ 3D undercarriage as well as their is somebody that is prepared to loan me parts to measure off for that.

I would be interested to here what parts you think should be replaced, so if you can let me know as this helps to put the picture together.

hehe, you know it's going to be the hardest ones to do right? If I were looking to use replacement parts, it would be the bomber bubble an  forward half of the upper turret. To me those are the ones that are the worst on my copy. 

Ali,

I would in for whatever you decide to do for this issue. I received my kit and the main. large canopy piece was cracked and was replaced by the vendor I purchased from (Andy's Hobbies) very quickly.

-Scott

zMnpik.jpg

Hi Guys

thank you for the offers of help, I am waiting for a set from a chap that has offered me his first damaged set, this is on the way to me, once I have a look at it and done some investigation work I will decide if I will proceed doing the replacement clear cast parts. If I do go ahead with trying them then I may need more spares, at that point I shall contact you.

so keep them safe for now, as a time line I suggest I shall know by the end of July what I will do.

cheers Ali

Hi guys 

Ok the update on the clear parts for the Lancaster.

I received a set of clear parts two days ago, and in a word I was ASTONISHED on how bad they are. Most of the problems could have been avoided if a little more care and polishing had taken place on the moulds. Ok we all know the story, but a little investment would have gone a long way to possibly making this a lot long lasting model that could be re-issued for years to come. Well we all know that more than likely in a few years you will get a handsome price when and if you sell your one, but what a waste in many ways, great lumps of plastic to sit in boxes.

One of the main stumbling blocks to be honest for me not to take this any further is the fact that the material thickness is mostly 0.5mm. Most canopies are at least around 1mm on kits and in general kit parts are between 1 and 1.5mm thick, that is the norm for most parts on injection moulded kits and there are reasons for that.

So with this very thin section, I cannot just polish and restore the canopies because I would not be able to cast and remove from the moulds with success at this thickness, especially for the size and the complex shapes of many of the parts.

To remake new masters from the kit parts and thicken them up is one option but that would take me a long time and I am sure then they would be fit problems when mating to other kit parts, so it would all become very complex.

So there is my conclusion to this project, sorry to have let you down, but rather sooner than later, and I also need to look after my interests in the first instance.

cheers Ali, happy modelling