MiG-21 Kits and Bits??

Aviacom

Good Morning Guys.

I thought i'd appeal to the experts and more knowledgeable than I on this subject!

I've got a REALLY big itch to scratch in the name of doing a Natural Metal Finish UKRAINIAN MiG-21, but have no clue on what kits, versions, aftermarket options to go for?

I've done a web search and found loads of pictures of the aircraft in Ukrainian service and seen what's available out there kits and aftermarket wise.

So, i'd like to ask, which is the best kit/version to go for? Which aftermarket items?

Whatever I get, i'd really like to do it justice and make it the pride of place in my cabinet, so im not adverse to throwing a LOT of bits into it to make it a 'show stopper' if that's possible?

Although i've never done a WIP thread on here, I think this could just do it for me to do one?

Thanks in advance.

Happy weekend and modelling to all!!

Edited by Aviacom

Hi,

Globally you have two options from Trumpeter: the single seater MF or the two-seater UB. There are aftermarket sets for both but most resin cockpit are now OOP for years. Besides that, you can easily get KM seats, wheels, pitot tubes, FODs, instrument panels, warload options, etc.

Hth 

Thierry

Verlinden did a resin cockpit and radar upgrade set (now long out of production and pretty hard to find). I think Eduard / Aires did some exterior and cockpit PE sets. There are several resin bang-seats available (HAD, maybe Aires, etc). A few manufacturers, like Master Casters, etc. make resin wheel sets (don't use the kit's rubber wheels - after a few years, the rubber starts "dissolving" and eventually falls apart).

Have a look at the Reskit range - not exactly cheap, but amazing quality. Check out Hannants, Sprue Brothers, Hobby Link Japan and the other big mail-order services. 

Hope this helps. 

Chris. 

When the Mig 21's were flying in natural metal Ukraine was part of the USSR, so would have sported red stars, the only photo of a Ukrainian Mig 21MF in natural metal I can find is this one. I wouldn't touch the Verlinden sets, personally I think the HAD KM-1 seats are the best, seem to be oop, but you might be able to find them online. Red Fox make a 3d printed cockpit, so that with a resin seat, would look very good, lcaerodesign produce a very nice resin exhaust for the MF, link, and a good reference book, is this one by Kagero, again oop, but might be available from some stockists, it also comes with some Polish decals to tempt you...

And finally a list of products at Aviationmegastore, though not all in stock.

I wanna see loads of pictures of Ukrainian MiGs in NMF.  :)   PFM in Kiev museum would be one example, but not likely a operational one. For the very same reason as Kagemusha explained above. Revell offers the spine that can be kit bash onto the Trumpeter's kit.  There's no decent MiG-21 in 1/32 scale to begin with, so some surgery will be required anyway.

Thanks so much for all your help guy's!

I sat and spent the whole evening yesterday thinking about this one, and in the end decided against the MiG-21 in the end.

Instead, I just could'nt get the Pakistani Shenyang FT-6 (MiG-19) out of my mind so spent a few more hours searching, and order the Trumpeter FT-6 and a load of aftermarket for it!!

I need something different from the norm to break the impending 'Modellers Block' that i feel could be on the way, so this has got me nicely revved up and raring to get on it when it arrives this week.

Work in progress thread anyone? (Even though i've never done a WIP thread, through feeling embarrassed that I would'nt meet the high standards here!)

Thanks again

Please do a WIP-tread on Your MiG-19 build!

I have the same kit in the stash and I could use some inspiration.

if I can do a WIP here, You certainly can, folks here are very kind and helpful, so give It a try!

Cheers!

Stefan :beer:

2 hours ago, Aviacom said:

Work in progress thread anyone? (Even though i've never done a WIP thread, through feeling embarrassed that I would'nt meet the high standards here!)

Thanks again

Absolutely. I recall feeling the exact same way when I first joined, but I got over it pretty quick.

On 6/19/2022 at 4:03 PM, Phantom2 said:

Please do a WIP-tread on Your MiG-19 build!

I have the same kit in the stash and I could use some inspiration.

if I can do a WIP here, You certainly can, folks here are very kind and helpful, so give It a try!

Cheers!

Stefan :beer:

No worries here